Author Topic: Anyone Ever Get Followed?  (Read 7030 times)

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
Anyone Ever Get Followed?
« on: February 26, 2015, 21:50:04 »
Has anyone ever been followed when driving your SL around?

In the last month or two I've had it happen twice.

The first time I noticed a car with two people in it that was behind me for a while.  When I got to my street, it turned down it as well.  So I passed by my house and kept going and made another turn, and it turned as well.  I then went on a bit of a merry goose chase driving around and turning and eventually shook the car off.  I made sure it was nowhere around when I pulled into my driveway.

The second time, I was driving home and a white car was coming the other way.  The driver started waving intently at me, but I didn't recognize him, and kept going.  I guess I wasn't paying as much attention because when I pulled the car into my driveway, the same car stopped at the driveway entry and the same guy waved to me again (so he had apparently turned around and followed me home).  He said "Nice car" and then asked if it was for sale, stating that his grandfather had owned one and he was looking to buy a 280 SL.  I told him I wasn't looking to sell and we exchanged a few pleasantries and then he drove away.  Later I was a little concerned about the fact that he knew where the car was kept, but somewhat mollified by the fact that he had stopped to speak to me (since a potential thief would have likely tried to be more discreet).

Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar-type experiences. 

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Anyone Ever Get Followed?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 21:53:19 »
Yeah, I have. And it had a flashing red light on it too.  :o :o :o :o
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 22:06:09 »
I get plenty of waves and thumbs up ... should ever anyone follow me I would drive to the nearest police station or do what you did that should do the trick :)

Dan, you just drive too fast :) both you and I will travel in the centre of the caravan to PUB2015 next September, so we avoid embarrassing situations like in September 2013 when I was leading and followed my GPS and your car almost got split in half  ;D I'm glad your car is red and that fellow jumped on the brake fast to avoid damage.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 23:50:37 »
Actually, I haven't received a ticket in 27 years.

The drive to P50 in 2013 was a lot of fun, regardless of our poor navigating.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:40:01 »
Yes, one time...

Back in about 1996, my 230SL had about reached its lowest point of condition since it was bought in 1980: the visors were droopy rags, one tail light had that red cellophane tape stuck where the lens belonged, the carpet and seat covers were completely worn out, heater levers broken, the paint was in bad shape. Worst part, often ran like crud. It was tired. In a moment of temporary insanity, I put a for sale sign on the passenger-side of the windshield..."10k or OBO."

I still drove it in those days though, and literally the day I put sign in window, I was driving along and this guy whipped a u-turn and followed closely behind me. I finally figured out why and pulled over. He gave me his number and said "call me -- I am interested... (in the car)"... My first thought was, boy that was easy. My second was "am I stupid?"... I never called, and tossed the for sale sign in the trash.

Within a year, I had fresh paint, new visors, new taillights, new carpet, new interior MB-Tex, heater rebuild, new dashwood (oh and empty savings account...) And within a couple more, I came across the old SL Yahoo group, then the Mercedes113 website, and then finally this Paragon of Pagoda Pleasure (who remembers the PPP phenomenon?) -- along the way I got great help from the likes of JA17, George Davis, Naj, Cees, Rodd, Dan C., and many many more folks who have helped make my SL ownership truly a blast! Thanks all!

James
63 230SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:32:49 »
James, so glad you tossed that for sales sign and emptied that savings account :) you know what they say about cost "It's long forgotten (cost) and you still have the quality" something like that anyway :)

When I drove my 1987 BMW 535is (one model higher tat year it would have been a M5) several people followed me on different occasions into the shopping centre parking lots. Giving me there business card and telling me "If you sell it call me" .... anyway I never did call them the car ownership was transfered to my daughter and she still has the car. I still take it for a spin and love it each time I do :) mind you it still reduces the balance of my bank account for I maintain the car for my daughter ... then it's only money, we can't take it with us for the last shirt has no pockets  ;D
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:05 »
I was followed about a year ago, by a guy in a black modern Mercedes - we spoke when I was refuelling at a shell station,

He had recently bought a Pagoda at auction, and was about to start renovation.

He is making good progress and is now a member here.

Keep well

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 22:12:15 »
My W111 attracts a lot of attention in the big city and get lots of thumbs up as well. But when I pull off the main road I have started to be very aware of cars around me and if any are following. Haven't had one yet. Because I am not changing my driving habits, I don't think it is destructive paranoia. I like to think of it as just being cautious. As the coupe's condition continues to improve, I suspect I will become more and more cautious. 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 00:48:47 »
I was stopped in the left turn lane at a red light when a guy leaped out of the passenger side of the car behind me and starting complimenting the Pagoda enthusiastically. I invited him to ride with me up the street a ways. I was going to the beer store and I figured no Canadian ever turns down a ride to the beer store, no matter what the car is. His friend followed and we stopped in the parking lot and talked for a few minutes. It was one of those occasions when I wished I had a pamphlet or something promoting this forum. Encounters like this are part of the priceless joy of driving a wonderful old car.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:15:08 »
Hello Peter and all other leaders being followed,
print and cut out out the attached invitation and next time it happens, hand it over.  :)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 05:20:35 »
I don't know whether I was followed, but in 2013 I had the idea of putting the Pagoda in our private garage underneath our appartment in Geneva, so we could drive it around Geneva rather than where the car is now, in France. A few days after having parked in the garage, the garage was broken into. The Pagoda wasn't taken, but that same week I brought it back to France, for fear of the burglars coming back to take the car. Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid, but I wouldn't be surprised if indeed I was followed home.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:47 »
Hi Alfred,  Re Invitations

I printed cut and plasticised a sheet of the site "invitations" a while ago,

I always keep a few  in the car, and that is what I gave my "follower",

he was very pleased to know of us, and joined.

Keep well

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 20:16:56 »
Honestly, I can't remember the last time anyone followed me, turned around to catch up with me, or for that matter, asked me about my car. In some ways I like this and it's only when I get further way from home that I get the odd comment from people I don't know. Paying attention to those who are looking your car over while driving is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe it's my red car because I've driven many customer cars that get all of those looks or questions about what it is and how old it is, but not with my own car. I think most people are used to seeing my car around here for the past 20 years and they're not that interested in Euro cars so my car gets left alone. Just the way I like it........
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

glenn

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 02:01:14 »
J. Huber,  PPP has been in Paltry Perfunctory Penance, but looks forward to resumed Perspicacious Pagoda Persiflage.

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 17:30:08 »
I got followed shortly after I got my car running a few years back - temp insurance, no hubcaps, sheets over the seats, overall quite messy exterior.  I spot this guy following me and it gives me the creeps and as I pull into my neighbourhood he is still there.    I drive past my house and down the next alley and this guy is still following me.  I park in a driveway and pop the hood and pretend to look at my engine.  He pulls up and asks if I'm selling.    I tell him the car is on its shakedown run and that I spent the last 20+ years chasing this car so I'm not about to let it go just yet.  We say our goodbys and I start driving again in circles to see if he is following me.  I finally pull into my lane when I think its safe - open the door and into the "batcave". 

Last summer this same creepy guy comes up to me at the local car show and recognizes me and proceeds to tell me that I don't live at the house where he talked to me and that they didn't even know who I was and he appeared a bit miffed.  I pretended to not remember where I stopped and explained that I was on a shakedown run so I was stopping all over the place.  That creeped me out even more.   The best part is I can envision him trying to explain me and my car to the occupants of the home.  I stopped at a care home for mentally challenged ederly. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X