Author Topic: Re: Injection Pump - Rising oil Level  (Read 4233 times)

Tom in Seattle

Re: Injection Pump - Rising oil Level
« on: June 02, 2015, 21:18:58 »
There is a small dip stick at the aft end of the injection pump.  It indicates the amount of lubrication oil in the injector.  As I drivel the oil level increases slightly in this reservoir.  I assume this is oil from the crankcase, but may be gasoline diluting the lubricant.  A mechanic has told me this is not worrisome enough to do an overhaul of the pump as a small amount can be removed from the reservoir via the dip stick.  The car is not daily transportation.  However if the increase in fluid level is caused by gasoline bypass, then this would lower overall lubricity over time.

I would appreciate perspectives on this.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Injection Pump - Rising Oil Level
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 22:14:26 »
There is a small dip stick at the aft end of the injection pump.  It indicates the amount of lubrication oil in the injector.  As I drivel the oil level increases slightly in this reservoir.  I assume this is oil from the crankcase, but may be gasoline diluting the lubricant.  A mechanic has told me this is not worrisome enough to do an overhaul of the pump as a small amount can be removed from the reservoir via the dip stick.  The car is not daily transportation.  However if the increase in fluid level is caused by gasoline bypass, then this would lower overall lubricity over time.

Hi Tom - Welcome.  Your post belongs in a new thread, just FYI.  As for the dipstick, the early pumps have ISOLATED oil reservoir and do NOT share the engine oil.  If it is increasing over time it is gasoline mixing in with the oil.  There is nothing else it can be - it is a closed system pump.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 22:45:29 by Garry »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Tom in Seattle

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:20 »
Thank you Scott.  Sorry for the crash, I'll learn.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 18:01:46 »
Thank you Scott.  Sorry for the crash, I'll learn.
No problem.  The moderators are great and cleaning things up.  As for the fuel getting into the oil, I wish I knew what you have to do about it or how important it is to resolve.  I know you can change the oil periodically and that _might_ help the situation.   Others need to chime in on this.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 07:03:09 »
Hi Tom (in Seattle) & welcome

If you return to the FORUM Tag, and use the SEARCH function for "Injection Pump Oil Level" you will find
lots of posts on these topics, which may help.

If you have the older type pump, I would suggest replacing the oil, and keeping an eye on the level.
It  only requires a small quantity of Standard Engine oil.

Keep well

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)