Author Topic: door handle install  (Read 2269 times)

Jkalplus1

door handle install
« on: July 06, 2015, 14:43:19 »
Hello,
I followed instructions in an old post to take off my door handles (for rechroming): easy.  Take off the Philips M6 screw on the door side, and then the handle slides forward and comes off easily.
I assume we do the same in reverse to reattach the handle to the door.  It seems extremely difficult.  I do not like to apply force unless it is necessary, don't want to break things.  It seems unreasonably difficult to pull the handle back and simultaneously try to align the hole for the retaining M6 screw while keeping the rubber gaskets (handle to door) aligned.
Is there a trick, or is it one of those jobs where you mess with it for hours until you are able to make the M6 screw catch? 
Words of Wisdom from the Sage appreciated,
Jerome

Jkalplus1

Re: door handle install
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 18:14:01 »
Rechts ist Links, Links ist Rechts!

I realized my error in trying to reinstall my door handles: I was trying to put the gaskets marked "rechts" on the passenger door, and "links" on the driver's side, which is why they would not align with the hole for the M6 screw that pulls it tight in its housing.
They are now reassembled after rechroming, really gorgeous and fits perfect, and with the spring Garry so nicely sent me by mail.  Thanks again!

Jerome