Author Topic: Broken hood release mechanism  (Read 7150 times)

frankenbenz

Broken hood release mechanism
« on: August 10, 2015, 18:32:55 »
HELP!!!!

I has the hood release lever break on my 230SL but was still able to open the hood by pulling on the disembodied lever handle. I have a new handle and cable coming this week. Except, now that method of opening the hood doesn't work anymore. I fear there is something amiss under the hood with the latch mechanism.

I searched the forums trying to find tips for opening the hood in the event of a cable failure without success. Can somebody point me either to an existing thread on this topic or some ideas on how to get the hood open to fix the issue?

Thanks!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Broken hood release mechanism
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 19:29:31 »
Hi,

I only came across two slightly similar situations. The first one was someones under the hood mechanisim was malfunctioning, however, he managed to fix and correct it that was 2 years ago. Second was a few weeks ago when I noted my under the hood latch that has 4 screws to hold the latch down was loose. I noted it since my hood was not properly closed I was able to fix it on the spot.

Your problem sounds more serious. Perhaps you can find someone near you in Florida on our supplier list.

Here is the link ===>>> http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Suppliers/Start

Once the link opens you can sort the table by State (click on "State" last top field highlighted in Yellow) then scroll down to Florida or your near by State.

Or give the fellows at Bud's Benz a call they do a lot of restorations and may have a trick up there sleeve how to open the hood from below.

Good Luck
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

frankenbenz

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 21:53:49 »
Thanks ...

This is a pain in the butt with a car that has been a constant pain in the butt ...

I'll keep you posted.

K

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 22:15:14 »
I read on this forum years ago of just the same thing happening.  The resolve was to put car on lift and to go under car and to pry with a long screw driver at the locking pin.  You have to get your arm up into the engine bay to do this.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 23:07:50 »
Hi Bob,

I took a couple photos of my 280sl latch if it has the same configuration on Ken's 230 SL then I don't think it is that easy to do from the underside of the car. A special tool for one side and the help of a long extension mirror might be needed to see what one is douing.

If you look at the photos

Photo 1 shows a direct view of the hook that holds the hood down. if you look carefully shows the cable attachment (there would be room to pry the hook back with a special tool)

Photo 2 and 3 shows a view direct from the top, as you can see the access into the box (photo 2) is hidden.

With the help of a L-shaped tool with a short fork at the end to slip into the box and pry back on the hook it might be possible to open the hood. This L-shaped tool then needs an extension to reach down below the car. The extended mirror needs to be tilted in such a way so that another man can direct the one with the special tool to slip into the box and pry back the hook. The hook is solid and does not move without the cable attached. In Ken's situation the cable must have separated from the hook that can be seen in Photo 2 inside the box.

A very tricky situation, however, with some skill and pations it is durable I think.

Hope this helps somewhat ... Someone with a 230 please confirm that the latch assembly looks like my photos. Mine is a 289sl
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

frankenbenz

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 14:52:10 »
Got the hood open. What an ordeal and we were ready to give up on it. The thing that caused the cable to fail was the pin that connects the cable to the release mechanism went away. Where it went is anybody's guess. It was simply gone. That was actually the good news, since had the pin been in place and the cable itself was broken off under the hood, this would not have been resolvable the way we eventually resolved it - which took hours.

Ultimately, we took off the grill surround. Fortunately we did not have to take off the little black louvered pieces behind the grill since to do that from the outside would have been even more time consuming, if not impossible.

The next step was to remove the hood hinges from the hood itself, not from the car. This does not give you as much freedom of movement as hoped and you have to be REALLY careful to not bend the hood at the attachment point where the hood release is holding onto the hood itself.

This allowed us to have one single inch of visibility to look into the hood at where the latch mechanism is. This is very little room to accomplish what we ultimately had to accomplish. Since the connector pin was missing, we were able to see into the hole into which the pin was supposed to go, through which it would be connected to the cable. The game plan was to try to figure out a way to get something into that hole in order to move the release mechanism to the right which should pop the hood. One of the complicating factors is that the tube that houses the "pop" spring mechanism is in the way of direct line of sight with the hole into which we ultimately had to insert the tip of our improvised tool. Without boring anybody with all of the sordid details, we eventually came up with a long piece of very rigid metal circular rod. It has to be rigid enough to not bend when pressure is applied to it, and given the length of the rod this was no small feat. We ultimately used a piece of rolled steel rod approximately five feet long, 5/16" in diameter, with an end ground down to be small enough to be inserted into the release lever hole.

Then the tedium began in earnest. Trying to find a fulcrum point where we could use the rod as a lever was very tiresome. This was compounded by the fact that the end of the release cable was still inside the mounting bracket for the release mechanism. Because of its positioning, we could only move the the release mechanism so far to the right before the travel was blocked but the release cable. Ultimately we had to try rotating the release cable, hoping that the blades on the release cable would eventually line up with the release mechanism (so that the release mechanism could slide between the blades, giving us a little more travel. (not sure if any of that made sense, but without diagrams that's my best explanation) Whether or not that actually occurred or not, I don't know since it was very hard to look at the mechanism and try to move it at the same time. After hours of exhausting work, we were able to get the travel we needed to pop the hood.

What a HUGE pain in the butt. If ANYBODY has any sort of modification idea or plans for a different way of releasing that hood mechanism other than that sideways pull thingy that Mercedes came up with, I'm all ears. I couldn't even imagine what would be necessary to get the hood open if the cable had snapped.

The cautionary tale here is DO NOT LOSE THAT PIN. I will be looking directly down into that hood latch mechanism every single time prior to closing my hood from now on and testing the hood release mechanism prior to closing the hood. I wouldn't wish this ordeal on anybody. I have included an image of the "tool" we used to get it open.

HUGE kudos to Lorenzo Morizio who worked tirelessly to get this done.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 14:56:31 by frankenbenz »

George Des

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 15:38:17 »
Years ago, I had this very same thing happen on a brand new TR-6. As I recall, they were able to get under the car and actuate the mechanism with a long rod. Not sure if this is possible with the Pagodas, but I recall living in fear that this would happen again on the TR-6 and had the mechanism suitably modified so the cable could not easily come off the mechanism. I've though about this happening on my 230SL but put it out of my mind until I read this post! So maybe I need to take another look at it to determine just how it could be done if the same thing happens--it's much easier to visualize a solution if the hood is open!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 16:21:34 »
The link that Hauser posted is a very good one. I would suggest that you go out to that, and make a copy of it and save it on your own computer. Sometimes links and websites have a habit of disappearing. Even though it is in German it appears to be an excellent item to have as reference if ever needed.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor