Author Topic: advice on "patina"  (Read 4574 times)

Ollie

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Alberta, Red Deer
advice on "patina"
« on: August 14, 2015, 16:12:51 »
I own a beautiful unrestored 67 250SL. I have been the second keeper for the past 19 years. The car has original leather and paint. It was ordered with a special order "full leather" interior, so all of the surfaces that would be vinyl, including the footwells and the interior of the glove box is leather covered. This area of course shows the original colour best. Over time the leather has become discoloured from sun exposure while driving. The leather is soft and supple with no cracks or scuffs. I am thinking of cleaning the leather, but want to preserve the original patina. The colour is cognac. I love the "lived in" feel of the interior and would never want to replace the original with new leather.

What is your opinion? Should I just love the leather as is, or try and sympathetically clean/restore it? If so, what is the best method?
Thanks.

Photos to follow.

Ollie

• Junior Level
Re: advice on "patina"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 16:31:08 »
Photos

Ollie

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 16:38:54 »
more photos, sorry, I am making a hash out of this...

Ollie

• Junior Level
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 16:43:38 »
more yet, can't figure out why they post turned!

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 02:50:43 »
Ollie
I would use leatherique products to clean and soften the leather. Then fill the cracks and dye the leather back to original color.
It can do amazing things.
You may have to get help tightening up the door skins.
Good luck! Beautiful car.
David
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:30 »
I'm with you Ollie and would not replace the leather.  Personally I love the patina and look of having been used.  You may want to contact a leather restorer and show him your car and ask what is the best way to clean it and keep it looking good.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 11:55:07 »
I would certainly go with the soft cleaning technique and do it easily. The leather appears to be in fine shape. On my 280 SL with original leather interior (in red) the seats are in very similar condition as yours. I have just been using a couple of different products (as with the questions on wax, etc) this is whatever works best for you. I have used Zymol, Connally, etc. Used correctly they do a good job. I have some sun faced spots at the top of the door panels, but am going to leave those alone. The major item I had done was replacing the seat pads.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Ollie

• Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:51:44 »
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I think the leather needs a thorough cleaning, as it is supple and the folds are not cracks.