Author Topic: FIREWALL PAD  (Read 14569 times)

garwoo

FIREWALL PAD
« on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:30 »
The Firewall Pad on my 1967 230SL is Toast, Literally. Anyone have any idea if there are any good copies of the original Pad available.
That would be with the diamond pattern. If so, where might they be found?

Many thanks
Gar

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
Re: FIREWALL PAD
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:50:33 »
I just got one from Authentic Classics, very nice looking and all the die cuts are nice and sharp. I don't know how it compares, their list on it is $230, you may be able to get some discount. Don't know if it is 50 bucks better than the other one but there it is. I was ordering a load of stuff and was trying to save on shipping. I don't know how many different manufacturers there are of these parts or if it is all one sold through different vendors.

I'm a long way off fitting it but am happy with the quality so far, it is reasonably stiff though so I think will need some heat to get it to fit nicely, and maybe a wooden roller like you use for dynamat.

w113bkk

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:48:15 »
I bought one from http://vintageeuroparts.com/w113.html It looks great and appears the same as the one on authentic classics.

garwoo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 16:45:24 »
Thank-you all for your responses. Sorry to be late getting back to you, had an emergency at home but all is now well.
Garwoo.

dowsup

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 22:38:04 »
Vintage Euro Parts, Valencia, CA
The owner is Babak.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 03:26:30 »
Just remember there have been plenty before you using the suppliers mentioned. Some successfully some not so successfully. Some have supported this Group and some have not and some give discounts to Group Members if asked.

Do a search on the Vendor and eBay experiences to see past experiences

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?board=21.0
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 15:22:01 »
Mercedes Benz Classic Center has them as well. They are authentic.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 12:04:15 »
Classic center is selling the diamond pattern again?

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 15:34:27 »
Yeah I spoke with Woody at the Classic Center a couple of months back and he indicated to me that the "Diamond pattern pads" they were selling were not an authentic replacement. They had discovered this in several judged concours showings. They contracted out the manufacturer of the diamond pattern authentic pads and are now selling them.  The price was $233. Don't remember if this was before any discounts. I have not purchased  one yet.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Kazoo

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 02:09:03 »
I did purchase on from one of the vendors listed (Authentic Classics) and it is real nice, the fit is perfect and the look is very original with the correct diamond pattern.

That being said, it is not the original tar paper and foam construction of the original.

Does anyone know if the new product being offered by the classic center is actually the original material, or if its like the others that are "original looking" with the correct diamond pattern, but are actually made a some synthetic material as opposed to tar impregnated cardboard?

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:40:51 »
Maybe other forum members may recall about 5 or more years ago someone on the forum was selling pads made from left over "original" tar paper material. Does anyone recall?

I bought 2 of them and still have them in the box unused. Because they are supposedly original material I refrained from using them.

I have some left over firewall material that I bought from Babak from my 220se that will allow to make another pad set for my 66 SL of the original boxed versions. His stuff is pretty close.

Babak has been good to me as well as George from Authentic Classics. They more than likely are furnishing the same firewall pads.
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 12:23:09 »
Firstly to answer the question. I don’t believe any Vendor was able to do a ‘correct material’ reproduction.

I am one of the group together with several other un-named parties that worked on the production of the Pagoda Group firewall pad. I also purchased several RHD and put away for a rainy day. Note for Peter Perry, the two halves should be put together ASAP if you have not done so as the glue had a shelf life that will probably have expired by now if not joined.

As an aside on the Group Firewall pad.  I noticed at PUB last year that several peoples firewall pads were separating/lifting between the outer and inner layer of the pad.  Some believed it was the heat that was causing the problem.  I had some left over small pieces of the material here in Australia and when I got back home tried several different adhesives and also some solvents to see if they had effect on the pads inbuilt glues. Whilst I had not had any problem with my own car, I was concerned about the extra pads I had bought for myself.  There is definitely a problem with certain solvents, particularly if they were white spirit based and some of the contact adhesives used have had a solvent ingredient that has had an adverse reaction with the pads own two layer adhesive.

I do not have a perfect solution if you are one of those unfortunate members that have had this occur. I can only suggest that your contact cement has had a solvent in it that has had an adverse reaction with the pad glues. Discussion at PUB suggested that the pad needed stripping completely off the car and be reconstructed with the two layers and the felt with a single adhesive that would also be used to fix the backing felt to the firewall.

Any other Member care to add comment on the problem and the solution anyone has tried?

Garry
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 21:16:02 by Garry »
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 21:10:06 »
Alfred is, I think, the black belt on this topic. He may be along soon to offer his insights into the whys and wherefores of which adhesive works best.

My pad (from the group's original buy) is still sitting in my shed, untouched. I hadn't heard, Garry, about the need to address the adhesive between the 2 pads early (if I understand you correctly).

I'm sure it'll work when the time comes to fit it. I'll be sure to read the threads on cement beforehand, however.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 21:55:39 »
Alfred is, I think, the black belt on this topic. He may be along soon to offer his insights into the whys and wherefores of which adhesive works best.

My pad (from the group's original buy) is still sitting in my shed, untouched. I hadn't heard, Garry, about the need to address the adhesive between the 2 pads early (if I understand you correctly).

I'm sure it'll work when the time comes to fit it. I'll be sure to read the threads on cement beforehand, however.

JH

James, I will closely inspect my pads when I'm back in the saddle from an out of town week. I am trying to find the emails from years ago on these pads. I can't remember back in the day when I bought these "tar paper" 2 piece firewall pads. I will photograph them and post on this thread.

As far as adhesive failure goes may I point out a few thoughts. It depends what kind of adhesive and also at what temperature the car and atmosphere is. As an example 2 sided 3M tape is useless at cold temps under which the manufacture specifies. Secondly it might make sense to apply a few light coats of contact cement on both surfaces on which you adhere together. Use the brushable kind as aerosol don't last the test of time. You need to let the coats dry before you put on. I used this method a few years ago when I worked at AutoHaus when I install a Vintage Euro Pad on a 69 280SL.
I will document and post pictures when I go to install the pad on the 66.
Let's see who on the forum remembers these limited number of tar paper pads that were around years ago.
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 22:59:27 »
Peter, 

Can only agree that using the brush applied contact appears to be the best method for applying the Group pad as I suspect it is in the use of the aerosol contact that leaching of the aerosols solvents to the pad glues has occurred.

I have only ever seen one original OEM replacement firewall pad and that was owned by Tom Colitt.  It was against this that Tom and I compared the material that Alfred had found with Toms genuine original to confirm that we were on the right path in proceeding with the manufacture of the small number of pads several years ago. They are collectable now!!!!!

Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 23:55:21 »
I got my firewall pads from Dave Gallon back in 2012. Certainly looks like tar paper. See attached pictures.
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 00:53:26 »
Yep, thats the one we produced within the Group.

It was a limited production as we did not have much material available and I cannot remember the exact figures abut a few hundred LHD and 150 RHD. There was also a small amount of surplus material used for the footwells. When they were all sold that was it, there was no more material.

There are still a few around that people kept as a spare.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 21:39:55 »
Firstly to answer the question. I don’t believe any Vendor was able to do a ‘correct material’ reproduction.

I am one of the group together with several other un-named parties that worked on the production of the Pagoda Group firewall pad. I also purchased several RHD and put away for a rainy day. Note for Peter Perry, the two halves should be put together ASAP if you have not done so as the glue had a shelf life that will probably have expired by now if not joined.

As an aside on the Group Firewall pad.  I noticed at PUB last year that several peoples firewall pads were separating/lifting between the outer and inner layer of the pad.  Some believed it was the heat that was causing the problem.  I had some left over small pieces of the material here in Australia and when I got back home tried several different adhesives and also some solvents to see if they had effect on the pads inbuilt glues. Whilst I had not had any problem with my own car, I was concerned about the extra pads I had bought for myself.  There is definitely a problem with certain solvents, particularly if they were white spirit based and some of the contact adhesives used have had a solvent ingredient that has had an adverse reaction with the pads own two layer adhesive.

I do not have a perfect solution if you are one of those unfortunate members that have had this occur. I can only suggest that your contact cement has had a solvent in it that has had an adverse reaction with the pad glues. Discussion at PUB suggested that the pad needed stripping completely off the car and be reconstructed with the two layers and the felt with a single adhesive that would also be used to fix the backing felt to the firewall.

Any other Member care to add comment on the problem and the solution anyone has tried?

Garry

I am reluctant to use my SL Pagoda tar paper firewall pads because there is no other exact alternative at this time. So I used up the remaining piece of firewall pad material I had left over stashed under my living room throw down carpet. The material was sourced from Babak at Vintage 3 or 4 years ago for my 63 220seb coupe. I was able to make templates from the tar paper one and made a nice useable pad set for one of my SL's that would compare to what you can buy today.

see attached pictures.

I have a theory regarding the replacement firewall pads lifting. I go back to the glue used. Contact cement if use properly is the only way to go but it will require 3 to 4 light coats on the meeting surfaces. It has to "dry" in between coats and when making final contact upon installation. Many including myself make the mistake of making contact when the glue is still somewhat "wet". It won't hold the test of time.

Also you have to factor that the firewall pad material whether its Vintage Euros or Authentic Classics or the "real" tar paper is that the material was made flat. The material is stiff and its used to being flat at the time you are installing. That's how the stuff was made and it has "muscle memory" in that its going to want to go back to being flat until you have worked it so thoroughly upon installation. Try dry fitting it first (no glue contact) to make the initial bends and take your time. Have calculated patience. You have to massage it intensely into the lines and bends of the firewall and at Temperatures above 70 degrees or more. Work it until your convinced that the material has given in to bends of the metal it will now adhere to. Spray adhesive just doesn't have the strength as 4 thin brushed liquid canned contact cement. Just my thoughts based on trial and error throughout the many years that I have been swinging the club.

One of the hard things about installing is lining it up correctly because once you make surface contact there's almost no going back. You start at the top edge and work your way down. 

So tell me about where you guys found this tar paper to make these special run pads. Where did it come from and can we put our heads together to come up with the same stuff again.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 21:51:53 by perry113 »
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 22:53:02 »
Another thing to consider when using contact adhesive is that it isn't as heat resistant as you might think.  In fact the standard way of getting it to release even after it had dried fully is to heat the glue with a heat gun.  That being said there is a high heat resistant contact cement for gluing vinyl and Landau tops that might hold up better in the underhood heat.  I plan on using this when the time comes.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/noname37.html

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 23:22:46 »
Peter, 

Just type in Group Firewall Pad and you will get lots of hits on the long saga of the creation of the Firewall Pad.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 23:50:31 »
Peter, 

Just type in Group Firewall Pad and you will get lots of hits on the long saga of the creation of the Firewall Pad.

Garry

Thank you for the link.
See:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15373.0
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn

Kazoo

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 03:39:35 »
I have now successfully installed my fire wall pad from Authentic Classics.
A few comments... The adhesive is terrific... Don't touch down until you've got it exactly where you want it- it sticks!
I found the very light use of a heat guy made it more pliable, careful not to over heat and melt the material. Fit was amazingly perfect, and the look is great... Although it's not tar paper, as only the chosen few have... It's real nice and a major improvement over my crumbling original.  Not to mention that George at Authentic Classics is a dream to work with- he's a real asset and has gone above and beyond to keep my project moving forward...

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 11:52:16 »
I have now successfully installed my fire wall pad from Authentic Classics.
A few comments... The adhesive is terrific... Don't touch down until you've got it exactly where you want it- it sticks!
I found the very light use of a heat guy made it more pliable, careful not to over heat and melt the material. Fit was amazingly perfect, and the look is great... Although it's not tar paper, as only the chosen few have... It's real nice and a major improvement over my crumbling original.  Not to mention that George at Authentic Classics is a dream to work with- he's a real asset and has gone above and beyond to keep my project moving forward...

Great to hear this! Could you please post a couple of pics. it's something I'm thinking of tackling in the spring.
Thanks and best,

Mike
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

Kazoo

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 23:50:45 »
Here are a few shots of the authentic classics model!!