Author Topic: AMG Pagoda  (Read 5491 times)

iftykhan

AMG Pagoda
« on: March 08, 2016, 21:09:50 »
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C718558#

Spotted this vehicle for sale.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: AMG Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:45:48 »
Interesting to note that they installed an engine from an AMG Mercedes and are calling it an AMG W113.  I would assume that AMG might not approve. 

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 17:28:28 »
Lots of people also think that a Pagoda is a Classic car when it really isn't. It's a Milestone car but few have ever even heard of that. As new cars get older everything will be a classic which is just another way of saying it's an old car. I've seen where 380SL's are now being called classics or anything from the early 80's.

To me, this wouldn't mean much if there wasn't already something called a '' Classic Car '' but there is and it's a special car built during the '' Classic '' era of coach built autos. Cord, Duesenberg, Auburn, Marmmon, and high end prewar MB cars are all Full Classics.
 Post war classics, or more correctly  '' Milestone Cars '' would be all 300 cars, 220Cab A, 190SL, 6.3, 111 Coupe and Cab., 600, and Pagoda cars. There is nothing past 1972 that is a Milestone Car ( unless the list has been updated ) and it's sure as hell there are no Full Classic Cars built after 1949.

Regardless of what you see of TV, which you should never trust anyway, or what some car club wants to call there stuff, there is a difference. As owners of fine vintage cars, we should become aware of automotive history; the origins of the Milestone Car Cub, and the Classic Car Club of America, which BTW, started in 1952 which was long before all of these so called classics were even made.

I've been called names here on this site for simply stating factual history. The purpose of this club is to share information; I'm doing that.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 23:33:03 »
Its an interesting concept. But personally if you want a new car with the latest bells and whistles then by a new one. to put a modern engine in this seems pointless. The pure mechanical nature of the engine (not fancy computers) and mechanically FI and electrical as basic as it gets is the charm of these cars. Like a fine mechanical watch.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:01:24 »
Pinder,
The watch analogy is perfect.  I just got one of my watches back from service and even though deep down I know that a battery operated watch(that cost far less than the service) keeps far better time but there is something uniquely satisfying about knowing that 8 times a second a newly oiled little gear on my wrist goes "Click".
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:10:01 by Shvegel »

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 15:15:02 »
As owners of fine vintage cars, we should become aware of automotive history;
Dan, I think "vintage" is a very fitting word. Another would be "historic". The word "classic" is used out of context and frankly way too much. So are the words "Barn Find" and "NOS".  :-X

I wonder if the cold start and enrichment relays in the photo were re-purposed for something else.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

WswarrenII

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 18:04:36 »
Gentlemen,

I am looking for some guidance and could use your help.  My father passed recently and left me his 1967 Mercedes 230 SL hard top/convertible.  I want to get it restored and need to know the who, what and where's.  The car is in Virginia. I plan to pick it up at the end of the month and bring it back to my house in St. Mary's, Ga.  The car was garage kept and was running before he parked it. It has been parked for 10 plus years.  My father bought the car when we lived in Germany back in 1979.  My father bought a lot of exterior parts for the vehicle and had actually sanded a lot of the vehicle. I have been told that there is mold in the interior of the vehicle.  Where do I begin.

I am new to the site, that said if you know a way to get this out to as many followers as possible, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wayne

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 20:37:54 »
Wayne, I am sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I was in the same predicament approx 2 years ago. My father too had passed and left me his 250sl. The first thing I will suggest is DON'T attempt to drive it anywhere or even start it! There are a lot of things that will need to be done ahead of time to prevent engine or drive-train damage. Especially after sitting 10 years. Your best bet is to find an auto carrier to transport the car back to your place or wherever the work will be done on it. I cannot stress this enough. You may want to start a new thread with what you said above. You will get more responses and a few that live in your area can chime in on where to take it. Welcome to the site!
Tyler
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 01:45:44 »
Dan, I think "vintage" is a very fitting word. Another would be "historic". The word "classic" is used out of context and frankly way too much. So are the words "Barn Find" and "NOS".  :-X

I wonder if the cold start and enrichment relays in the photo were re-purposed for something else.

WOO HOO!!! Someone who actually understands what I'm talking about! ( I think I like this guy......  :))
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 13:57:24 »
Once you get the car home, the first thing i would want to know is if the engine will turn by hand. But before doing that Id change the oil, take out the spark plugs and put some lubricant of some sort into the spark plug holes. keep adding a few drops over a week to soak in. if its a stick shift put it in 4th gear and rock it back and forth and keep an eye on the fan and see if it starts to move. once it moves you know the engine is not locked up. Also probably a good idea to take the valve cover off. 

For the car that did not have a locked up engine the following brought it back to life.

1. rebuild fuel pump and flush all lines.
2. drop gas tank and clear blocked return and outlet.
3. new spark plugs and wires.
4. new points (initially then replaced with electronic comp cams ignition)
5. new top hose for power steering.
6. new battery
7. new oil and coolant.
8. replace all rubber hoses on brakes and new brake pads, rebuild brake master cylinder
9. new master and slave cylinders plus hose for clutch.
10. new tires.
11. Adjustments to throttle body and linkages.
12. new oil an fuel filters.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

WswarrenII

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 13:20:21 »
Tyler and Pinder,

Thanks for the advise. I will start a new thread once I figure out how to do it.  I look forward to everyone's help and input. I really want to get this done and drive it up to Arlington National Cemetary for my father's funeral. Hope! Might not be reality.

Wayne