Author Topic: $100,000 1971 280SL for sale  (Read 7459 times)

Bob G ✝︎

$100,000 1971 280SL for sale
« on: April 17, 2003, 19:03:37 »
Scott Melnick noted Mercedes-Benz Mechanic had is 1971 280SL at the Beverly Hills Ltd Car Show this passed week end. A total 10 year restoration of the chassis and body & Paint drive train and interior plus new tops. Asking price is outragious but I could not stop admiring the underside of his car. For over an hour, I laid down on the floor while people passed wondering what I was doing. I video taped much of the underside of his car front to rear. Now I can't look at my car with out thinking how much work it's going to take to get half a decent looking car as this one for sale.
  The only other car I know like this is Tom Sargeant's 1970 280SL. It would be interesting to compare. I know Tom has also put a lot of time restoring his car as well.

Bob Geco

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Re: $100,000 1971 280SL for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 22:23:49 »
Bob,

Don't think you are the only crazy out there looking at the underside of a car!  I do it alot.  I elected to have a thin coat of undercoat schutz applied to get a uniform black look to the underside of my car.  So while my car is not restored to the original spec, it is nice to see the black and silver (fuel lines and brake lines) contrast under the car.

My car is a nicely restored driver, but is not a concours restoration and would not win a concours event.  Also, after 2 years, a restored car that is driven will start to show its wear, and mine is showing a little wear.

Mechanically, my car is very solid and I imagine that Scott, as a mechanic, did not short this part of the restoration.  I can understand how he could have $100,000 invested if the mechanics were properly addressed along with the interior and exterior restoration.

I plan to have my car at the tech session that Joe Alexander is having in Columbus over the weekend of June 6th, so you will have a chance to see it then.  I plan to drive the car the 1,000 miles (round trip) to Columbus.

Best,

Tom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 22:44:41 by Tom »
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver