Author Topic: Positioning US Sidemarker Lights  (Read 4398 times)

Douglas

Positioning US Sidemarker Lights
« on: April 20, 2003, 16:28:45 »
i've noticed over the years how importers and restorers will frequently install the sidemarker lights on a US-spec pagoda in an almost random spot at each of the four corners of a W 113. IMHO, it can look awkward and unfortunate.  

Can someone tell us what the rule-of-thumb is for installation? For example, should the bottom of the sidemarker towards the rear be alligned with the bottom of the tailight and also centered between the wheel well & rear bumper?

Inquiring minds want to know -- pix would be even better.

douglas kim
70 280 SL
(swiss model, hence no sidemarker lights)

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Positioning US Sidemarker Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 15:17:23 »
Doug:

Can't give any rule but the '71 280 has the rear marker on each side in the exact same spot so I assume they were installed according to a standard location plan. In my simple minded way I thought the factory installed these markers when the data card said "US model"...didn't know dealers did the job.

I believe my markers are in their original unrestored location. The bottom of each side marker is on an imaginary line about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the rear light surround. The rear edge of the marker chrome at its mid-point (the thickest point) is 2 inches in front of the rear light surround. This is much nearer to the rear light than the mid-point of the fender. I guess this would have to be compared  to several other "original" cars before any conclusions can be made.

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).