Author Topic: Congratulations to Mr Rolf-Dieter for Longest Distance to Deutsche Classic  (Read 3601 times)

su8pack1

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Barto
It was raining on and off most of the day and the turn out was halved for the Deutsche Classic in Oley Pa, but that didn't stop Mr Rolf-Dieter who won Longest Distance Award. He drove his 280SL all the way from Canada.  8)  https://youtu.be/4IqEs6eV26g See his SL in one of the heavy down pours. By the way, it was nice to meet you.
1969 280SL
1984 300CD
1987 190E 2.6
1988 190D 2.5

wjsvb ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
And he looked fresh as a daisy, too!  Even with the off-and-on sprinkles, there was a good turnout of MB's, though only one other 113 that I saw.  Shame on the rest (the writer included) who left theirs at home!  As with su8pack1, it was a pleasure visiting with Dieter in person after reading so many interesting and valuable posts of his!  Jon 
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

su8pack1

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Barto
Yes, I did leave the SL in the garage  :-[ but I did bring the 300CD.
1969 280SL
1984 300CD
1987 190E 2.6
1988 190D 2.5

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
I was also fortunate to meet up with Dieter. A few months ago he indicated that he was going to travel to the Deutsche Classic event. We kept in touch over the months and had made arrangements to which one of us got there first would save a space next to the other. When I got up Saturday morning the weather forcast didn't look very promising. I called his cell phone at 7:00 in the morning and jokingly said Dieter "this is your wake up call",  I'm not going to bring my car to the event but I wold be there around 9:00 to meet up with him.  He said "I'm here in line", I thought that was strange as the show car field schedule to enter was 8:00 in the morning. He then went on to explain that he was at the event and had slept in his car on Friday night at the fairgrounds.
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Thank you fellows, it was indeed a pleasure to meet you all as well, with or without your car as I mentioned before, "it's not only about our cars, it is also about people and friendship, quality time so to speak"

Yes I slept in my car a few hours. Driving her was just too enjoyable, I just did not want to stop driving. It's complicated, originally I had reservations at a nice B&B near by as was recommended by Bob. I had to cancel my reservation in the last minute; someone promised to do something for me on Friday morning so that I could leave early and I ended up having to do it myself. I know some of you have been in similar situations at one time or other. We have a saying in German "Selbst ist Der Mann" I think the English saying is something like "if you want it done do it yourself" or something like it.

No worries the car seats are quite comfortable, the back goes nicely back and to adjusting the headrest just right is a breeze great for a power nap. Having been a field engineer on large rotating equipment most of my professional life and project durations on average lasted 4 to 5 weeks for major inspections on long 12 hour shifts. When a project was finished I sleep quite a few times in rented cars, not as comfortable as a Pagoda or any Mercedes mind you. Picture, the project was on an island (Vancouver island) the project finished in the early afternoon with the unit back on line making money for my Customer. Spending another night in the hotel was not an option (not with a loving wife and daughter at home). So what does one do after saying your good byes to the Customer, right you guessed it ... Make your way to the ferry and if you missed it wait for the next one with yes power naps what else after 4 to 5 weeks of long 12 hour plus shifts without a day off. Anyone of you would do the same, car power naps I mean. You get the picture, I'm sure of it.

Besides, it was a long way down to Oley, PA. I set my trip odometer to zero at the start at the end it showed 651 miles. Google maps told me it should be 458 miles, I guess my portable GPS had different ideas. I must have taken a wrong ramp some place, perhaps it was that big tanker truck tail gating me to scare me then blowing his mighty horn at me as I could not corner the exit as fast as he wanted me to exit, oh well I let him have my Pagoda Horn (working very well btw) right back. There you go ... It's all good.

Did I enjoy the ride, you bet I did, every mile of it ... Most of all talking and meeting you all again was great fun. I meet three people that own Pagoda's we exchanged stories and I made sure they took note of our site, perhaps we see them here as members some day. I also meet a few young fellows that loved the car and asked me "how can I find a car like it?" Naturally I made sure to tell them what a great investment it is and to read all about it on our web site.

The icing on the cake was a visit to Bob's wonderful garage, I think it is his Man-Cave, all the wonderful memories he has in it, I know he enjoys quality time in it (see photo).

1,274 total miles on the Blue Tornado for the round trip. I was awarded 3 spot by the Hegarty young judges in training :) first and second went to Porsche and Audi.  Had a nice stop over at Niagara Falls including a visit to the Skyline Tower 236 meters above the falls. Took some photos and videos and will share them and others from the car show later in another thread.

What can I say, great quality time with my Pagoda.

Best, Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
Dieter,

I'm glad you made it back home safe and sound and had an enjoyable journey. Congratulations on your 2 trophies.

Regards,

Bob
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex