Author Topic: Restoration reference manual / book ?  (Read 4345 times)

mbazinet

Restoration reference manual / book ?
« on: August 08, 2016, 18:29:34 »
Hi folks, I am looking to dig a bit deeper into my SL's needed body repairs and such,  has anyone seen a good restoration book specific to our car ?

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Restoration reference manual / book ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 20:33:32 »
There are a few PDF files available on line.

One example ----> http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/katalog/english/Mercedes_Benz_230SL_250SL_280SL_Pagoda_R113_W113.pdf
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 20:57:52 »

Well....?
A specific restoration reference manual/guide as such is not available for our cars.

Just read the stories of members here having restored their cars , e.g. Andy Burns, scotcorvette, etc.
That provides you a good array of what you are expecting.

;)

Achim
(no SL anymore, only scrap parts)
Achim
(Germany)

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:12 »
Achim,
 ! No SL Anymore !
What have you done?
Eric

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:03:23 »
Some mistake, surely!
Say it's not so Achim...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:35:44 »
Achim is right, your best bet is to follow others that have done a restoration and the problems they encountered or solutions they found to overcome them.

I posted the link above since sooner or later you need parts to replace some parts that can no longer be used. If you explore the link you will find the table of contents takes you directly to the assembly and if you click on the part number it takes you to the site that sells them with photographic reference. You can use it by comparing prices from other sources like Buds Benz or the Classic Centre.

One word of caution, don't always believe what you see on eBay ... I did at the start and got bitten.

Example; I lost the chrome ring around the ignition barrel. Found one on eBay paid $50- US plus shipping and duty. When I got it it was a used one all pitted, I never installed it. Later when I ordered my new control arm bushings from the Classic Centre I shared the story with Tom H. on the phone. Tom said Dieter, we have them new for $16- you guessed it I added a new one to my order it matches the rest of my chrome :)

Just one example.

I have a Big Blue Book It has all the body parts and numbers should you need help PM me and I'll scan the drawing for you.

Good luck with your restoration

Dieter

PS.

Start a thread like my restoration or my restoration headaches :) add photos ask questions. You be surprised how much great help will come your way. Better then any instruction manual that's for sure.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 01:41:29 »
Also .... Follow this thread it will point out some pointers that may benefit your project.

Here ---> http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=24700.0

Dieter

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
Re: Restoration reference manual / book
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 09:18:08 »
Hi,

I agree with previous posters that great tips, info and pictures are part of the mentioned restoration threads, but you asked for restoration book(s).

If you are doing a ground up resto here are a few suggestions that I find very helpful.

The parts catalog for your model with parts numbers, engine parts book as well as the 1959 version BBB and the later one. W108-w113. MB DIN reference book is quite useful. Also the pocketformat technical reference book is very useful.
As an alternative or better an addition to the the paper book is the EPC parts system available online.

Regards,

Hans
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 14:29:34 by hkollan »
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

mbazinet

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 16:35:02 »
Thank you all very much   i will go up and take a look at the links   I also have the BBB i find it a bit technical i suppose its a really designed for an MB trained tech to follow not like a Haynes, I also have that too !. 

I am not too far from SL Tech (2) hours,   i think i'll be bringing it down to him for a complete evaluation and detail over the items i can and cannot tackle.   Mechanically  i am good with skills and equipment i have a nice Rotary 2 post commercial lift,  i can Mig weld and I am a skilled wrench,   just never done something as deep as this on such a valuable and highly engineered vehicle as this .    And the "oil leaks when do they stop ?? Do they ever ?  Ive got  the engine running very nice and the front end components  at least restored "close to spec".  Now onto king pins, Bushings, Control arms,  etc. Soon as cold weather hits Maine ill take her off the road and tackle those items.  But for now i finally have a nice steady IDLE !

;D