Author Topic: Radio Delete Plate Dash Cover  (Read 2934 times)

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Radio Delete Plate Dash Cover
« on: September 03, 2016, 17:40:05 »
Hi Guys.
My 280 is currently having a few injections at the hospital, that is Colin Ferns in south London. The question of the sound system has come up and I'm nor sure I want to spend quite a lot on Becker and such like out-moded systems! So I just want to posit the question on a 280SL Radio Delete Plate Dash Cover. I.E - I welcome any thoughts you may have on them? Personally I think they look good and as there's an avalanche of Bluetooth products about on the market I'm wondering if this is not the time to scrap a radio for a plate?
Look forward to your feedback/thoughts.
John.
Final words; I will be having the interior dash painted so if I go with a plate it would be a rather good time to fit it?     :-X
JOH

wjsvb ✝︎

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Radio Delete Plate Dash Cover
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 17:57:08 »
My two pfennigs worth: the presence of the Becker is a positive when showing or selling the car: look at the comments on sites like Bring-a-Trailer.  Also there are a number of options for sound systems hidden from view or taking off the Becker unit.  Finally, the cost of a radio delete plate just might be more than the cost of a clean but inop Becker.  This from someone who never turns the dern thing on, preferring the sound of the engine!  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 18:35:04 »
Thanks Jon.
I decided about ten years ago that there are five things i want in my life before I die. My Pagoda is one of them. But as I keep reminding one of my friends [who's in the trade] I went for this car because I want to drive it, investment or no!
I'm coming up on 60. I'm divorced and have no children! It actually took me the most of five years to see the light I.E. why should I be concerned with investments when my will will [will will] serve to cause differences between my brothers and sisters children?? I'm not fabulously rich [whatever that means] but there's lot of dead millionaires in my local graveyard's so, what I'm getting at is - resale is not top of my priorities right now. I want this item for me. To live with and in! To enjoy. After all, we only live once.
Cheers!
JOH.   
JOH

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 21:04:17 »
Hi John,

Like yourself I got mine to drive not to resale. My radio also does not work and frankly I do not care. The car came with a non original tape set/radio and it also did not work. So I removed it and installed the original radio that came with the car to this day I have been unsuccessful to get it to work (gave up on that about 2 years ago).

I don't recommend the delete plate. You would have a hard time to find one that would match your dash colour. I for a spell was thinking about a radio delete plate, gave up on the idea and left the radio as is. I purchased a JAMBOX (see link below) in blue, almost the same colour as my interior of the car. Along with my iPot it makes great music when I want it on long trips. Perhaps it might be a solution for you as well.

The link for great music ----> http://stuccu.ca/s/Big+Jambox+By+Jawbone-MbSLsTI-Buy-Exclusive-Deals-70-OFF-Save-Big-Lowest-Price-On-Big-Jambox-By-Jawbone-Best-In-Stock-Fast-Free-Shipping?mt=%7Bmatchtype%7D&keyword=%7Bkeyword%7D&ap=%7Badposition%7D&cid=%7Bcreative%7D&caid=555966bab1b1c628141dbb50&netid=1&network=%7Bnetwork%7D&aaid=555966bab1b1c628141dbb52&gclid=CJCZ4uuM9M4CFdcZgQodNPUBHw

Dieter

PS. When I got mine it still was $300- plus, you can find one now for around $140-
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 21:08:32 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 21:27:10 »
Cheers Dieter. Looks good.
JOH.
JOH