Author Topic: Front seat diagram  (Read 4005 times)

duka

Front seat diagram
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:16:54 »
Hi,

Wonder if anyone could help with a diagram for the drivers front seat mechanism - the seat lever down the side to fold the seat forward is locked solid. Not sure if this is a common problem? but would like to understand the mechanism before taking to bits.

thanks in advance
Steve ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:46:52 by duka »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Front seat diagram
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 16:16:54 »
Try the main search function (the one in the list with, Home,Help, Technical Manual, Search.......) I typed in "seat mechanism" but without the quotes and got a single page of hits. I did not read through them, but they might offer some advice along with the diagram. Good luck.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 18:46:32 »
Since you are not a full member you may not be able to access this area, go give it a try ... if it will not open for you then you may have to sign up as a Full Member. For the small charge of $30-/year check out all the benefits available to you.

Give it a try link to "seats" ---> https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/Seats
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: no Front seat diagram
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 19:47:39 »
Hi,

thanks in advance  ;)

Hi duka,
How about introducing yourself first? Huh? Does that sound like a good idea? ;)

Ok, as to your question, ...
there is basically an overview drawing available on the seats - which is basically the one from the original factory's parts list.

You can find an equivalent one here:

http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/en/230-280SL-W113/91-Seats/?_artperpage=10&listorderby=oxstock&listorder=desc

Ok, I always believed I am pretty keen on the seats, however, I haven't understood your question here.
Are you referring to the seat (position) adjustment mechanism (forth and back), i.e. nos. 50 - 53 on the SLS home page
or are you referring to the seat back cushion release mechanism, i.e. item no. 40 ?

The first one is rather common for extendedly un-used seats; you can easily get this back to move with WD-40 or equivalent.

The second would not be so common; check carefully whether the hooks on both sides of the release lever no. 40 really release the both corresponding bolts fixed to the seat cushion frame.

If you cannot get that one loose, you need to take out your seats. But for this the seat rails must be working first.

Good luck,
... and would love to know your real name here.

Achim
(stupid German name; seatcollector & author of the seat article in PagodaWorld; restricted to full members only)
Achim
(Germany)

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 20:33:20 »
To fold the back forward you have to push the leaver on the side back towards the rear of the car. (dont crank on it forward thinking it will allow seat back to recline forward.  I dont have any pictures but will try and describe how it works; the lever is attached to a pivot point such that when you move it back a hook shape metal piece unhooks from studs on either side of the base. when you pull lever back try and push back of seat from the center sort of upwards and forward. try jiggling it. i find on mine the lever side unlocks easier than the opposite side. the hook on the opposite side is attached to the chrome bar that runs along the back of the seat. Its a relatively simple mechanism.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.
1997 Corvette C5 Silver. automatic
2015 BMW 320i xdrive
2021 Mercedes GLS450 Silver

duka

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 08:46:03 »
Apologies for not introducing myself. I have a silver 280SL, based in NE Scotland, photo below.

Thanks for the links/guidance, greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:53:12 by duka »

duka

Re: no Front seat diagram
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:51:36 »
Ok, I always believed I am pretty keen on the seats, however, I haven't understood your question here.
Are you referring to the seat (position) adjustment mechanism (forth and back), i.e. nos. 50 - 53 on the SLS home page
or are you referring to the seat back cushion release mechanism, i.e. item no. 40 ?

Yes it's item 40 the "tilt" lever is just locked solid