Author Topic: A few questions!  (Read 6889 times)

Juggster

A few questions!
« on: April 23, 2003, 04:01:35 »
hi every one, i have a few questions on my SL280:
1) what is the proper colour name of this paint it has, my father has repainted it before, but he forgot the name of the paint(It came from mercedes

Download Attachment: juggster1a.jpg
52.11 KB

Download Attachment: juggster2a.jpg
47.91 KB

Douglas

Re: A few questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 06:42:29 »
juggster,

it's hard to tell from a computer monitor since there's some variation on every monitor, but i think that's either bronze-brown metallic (461) or copper metallic (463). looks like you have contrasting wheels and hardtop as well, but not sure what the color is.

do you have a data card or data plate in your engine bay with any paint codes on it? on the plate under in the engine bay, the paint code will have a G or H after a 3-digit number such as the ones above.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Juggster

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 07:33:16 »
yea, the hard top, (which is covered in tha back of the first picture)is black, and so are the Hub caps. This data card or plate, where could it be found? Also are these models ment to have the tires with a thin white wall? cos i have seen a few with them and i was wandering if they are ment to be like that

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 08:51:47 »
juggster,

one of the plates i mentioned with some of the codes is in the engine bay on the driver side.  you can't miss it. it's an embossed rectangular plate with a series of numbers on it. if my memory serves me, it should indicate your hardtop color (040 = black) as well as your body color. (i'm not positive it shows hardtop color... )

the data card is a slip of paper with all the option codes on it to show exactly how your car was delivered from the factory. if you have the original paperwork & manuals, there's a chance you still have it. it's frequently on a pink slip of paper. otherwise, you can still request them from daimler-chrysler.

and yes, many of the cars had thin whitewalls back in the day, but most people have since converted to all-black. that should also be indicated on the data card.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 08:52:35 by Douglas »

Juggster

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 10:23:27 »
cool, so how do i get them to send it, and is free of charge?

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 15:08:19 »
juggster,

go to this URL:

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/datacard.htm

let us know what you find out & we'll help decipher the codes.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Juggster

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 00:41:10 »
cool, lemme now just get the papers and numbers together and i will do it, do they send it in the fax or by mail?

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 04:47:05 »
I sent a short letter with a copy of the registration (to show that you own the car) to:

DaimlerChrysler AG, Mercedes-Benz Classic Centre
Plant 096/HPC R 051, 70546 Stuttgart Germany

Came by mail in a few weeks with English translation of the data card.

It maybe even easier and faster if you contact the MB Classic Centre in the US. I read that they can get the datacard for your car.

MB US Classic Centre 1 866 622 5277
Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).