Author Topic: Windshield x Gasket  (Read 4665 times)

cstinchi

Windshield x Gasket
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:40:26 »
Hi Folks, I want to bring a problem that I just had during installation of my windshield. I bought an OEM seal that does not fit on the windshield. I spoke to the vendor which was very supportive and he is sending me a new seal. Just out of curiosity if somebody has already experienced the same problem. Please see the photos below.
Best regards,
Caio

cstinchi

Re: Windshield x Gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:43:13 »
More photos...

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 04:23:17 »
Hi Caio,

You state the seal is OEM so are you saying this came from Mercedes? I have heard of non-original seals being an issue but not the original Mercedes supplied part. Others may know different.

Jack
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

cstinchi

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 04:35:37 »
Yes Jack, take a look on the package.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 19:38:16 »
Stinchi,
it may not pertain to your situation but the first time I tried to install the seal on the windshield I also struggled mightily ... until I realized that I was trying to insert the glass into the channels for the aluminum frame!  :-[
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 21:31:46 »
Why not let a professional glass installer do the work?
I worked on a 280SL and told the owner that I would not do the glass. 
He called his car insurance company and they sent out a glass guy who installed it for a fee.
Peace of mind for me as I have broken many windshields.

Rubber goes into a bucket of hot water, then the aluminum trim is carefully inserted, then the glass.
Tape the rubber to the glass with blue or greentape to hold it on while putting it together.
Then the glass man can put it into the car.
No sealant was used.
Walter

johnm

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Canada, NS, Lawrencetown
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 21:51:32 »
Hi Caio... This is interesting. A couple of weeks ago I had my windshield reinstalled by a professional. In fact the same guy that took it out 7 years ago when we started on the 280SL. As he began to fit the rubber along the edge of the glass he reached a point where he thought the rubber was incorrect but as he continued and installed around the complete parameter of the glass the rubber took on the proper shape. At that point he almost installed the windshield without attaching the chrome first until I pointed out that I had watched a video showing the chrome had to be installed before the windshield was placed on the car. From there everything went well as he was familiar with the process using the cord to seat the rubber properly on the windshield frame. In the end it was just unfamiliarity with a windshield and vehicle of that era that caused some doubt during the install. I hope in the end all goes well with your installation.  John
1970 280SL
1966 250S

cstinchi

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 23:13:33 »
Hi Alfred, John and Walter,
Thank you very much for your input. I forgot to mention that I'm not trying to do myself. I hired a professional installer to do the job a guy that understand about this particular car. He said that he has done several other Pagodas and from the way he started the job it looked like that he knew. This is why I got confused and explained to the vendor which were very understanding.
Having said that I'm waiting the vendor to send me another seal and than I'll let you guys know the verdict.
Best regards to all,
Caio

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 00:04:24 »
I also anticipated problems so after scheduling a windshield installation with the guys who sold it to me, I pre-fitted my seal with the windshield sitting on a bench (on a couple of folded towels) and taped it in place for two days before installation.  I made the sketch in the photo for the installers to give them when they showed up.  I explained everything to them but let them do it themselves, in case they broke it.  The sketch was very valuable to their effort.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 01:21:28 »
Excellent sketch, Tom! You should add it to the technical manual.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 01:49:46 »
Hi Alfred,
I didn't invent the sketch, but I don't remember where I saw it.  It was in a place that was not easy to copy, so I redrew it and added the red cords.  If I find it again, I'll acknowledge the copywrite and post it.
Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 02:06:25 »
I found it!  It was first posted by Star63 on this web site back in 2015.  He said it was sent to him by SLS.  I actually found it on google images.  It was the first time I understood how the windshield seal worked so I modified it slightly to add the cords to show to my windshield installers.  My car was older than those guys, but at least they had experience with this type of windshield.

Here's the link:   https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=22325.msg160505#msg160505

Thanks, Star63.

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:13:06 by Tomnistuff »

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 19:57:09 »
Yes, that is very helpful. It seems straight forward when looking at it on the sketch. But when you are looking at a twisted, contorted seal, it is easy to get confused.

Thanks for posting.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 21:35:36 »
In my post about installing the seal, I got distracted with the sketch.  What I meant to say is that I hand fitted the seal to the glass on the bench and taped it in place without the aluminum trim for two or three days prior to installation.  The rubber kind of "took a set" which made it much easier for the installers to remove it, lube the slots, insert the aluminum trim and refit it to the windshield.  I had even marked the "natural corners" of the rubber so that it would go back the way it sat for two or three days.  The installers had no problem taking the seal off the glass, installing the aluminum, lubricating the slot, installing the seal on the glass then installing the cords.  As is typical, they spent more time arguing about how to install the glass than installing the glass.  About the only influence I had was to remind them to get the corners of the seal on the corners of the glass and lined up with the corners of the windshield opening.  In the end, the corners fit perfectly and without wrinkles.  The installation was done without the wood installed.  The seal was made by URO PARTS.

Tom Kizer