Author Topic: Hardtop reassembly  (Read 3069 times)

Rhinkel

Hardtop reassembly
« on: April 16, 2017, 21:02:59 »
Same beginning to most of my posts.... I'm putting my dads 70 280 back together after he closed the hood 20 years ago after an engine fire, covered it up and left it in partially restored shape. I'm having a blast getting to know the car, trouble shooting and getting it back on the road. I've completed so many items on the car thanks to this board- and my bad for not becoming a paid subscriber- this I promise to do, I just never have my card info with me when I'm online!

I'm down to fine strokes now, and my new mission is the hardtop. I have found all the fasteners, screws etc..I have new window seals, chrome was redone 20 years ago, is slightly pitted but cleaned up very nice and now I'm going to put it back together. The headliner will be done by the upholstery shop then I'll put all the chrome back on and have the windows installed by a glass place.

I'm trying to find the order to do this all but I see I have to first install the roof rails. I have the brass connects and screws as well as sealant but I'm trying to figure which way the rails go. There are indents in them for what I assume to be attach points for a roof rail. Am I correct in assuming the notches face on the outside of the rails?

Also, once installed and the headliner goes in, can I install all the chrome before the glass goes in? Then last, the windows and weatherstripping? I've read thru a few posts but it's difficult to follow along for a first time effort. Any tips greatly appreciated. Thank you, Rob

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: Hardtop reassembly
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:03:35 »
Rhinkel,
The 'notches' for the ski racks must go inside, they face each other. I restored a hard top thirty years ago, so I dont remember, but will be doing another one soon.
Someone on the forum will certainly have advice.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

Rhinkel

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:22:43 »
Thanks Chris. I was Trying to enlarge some pics to see and it did look as if the notvhes faced each other. My logic thought they'd face outwards. Thanks again, Rob

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:23 »
In case you have not seen this in the Tech Manual on this site:

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/HardTop

BTW - notches on my 280 are on the inside - but I don't have any racks, so have never fit them.

Also, look at the ROOF RACK photo provided by Achim of a car he saw in Germany.  Zoom in and you can see why the notches are on the inside.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:01:59 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 22:27:15 »
Hello, I am finishing my hardtop these days. Refer to the Black Forest LLC Restorations website for some good photos. You asked about the order of putting things back together: yes, this is crucial.  For the quarter windows, some of the chrome pieces have to go in first to create the window track. And there are some inner rubber spacer pieces that go in to seal the window against the outside chrome. I am coming up to that task next... best of luck!
Bill Leddy, Edmonton, AB, Canada
1964 230 SL, red, manual, ps