Author Topic: Caviar (116) MB tex ... Where to source it ?  (Read 2613 times)

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Portugal, Lisbon, Estoril
Caviar (116) MB tex ... Where to source it ?
« on: May 20, 2017, 17:54:57 »
I need to replace the vinyl / MB tex on my dash, windscreen/a pillars and soft top compartment cover. My car still has all the original Caviar (116) . Does any one know where I can source these? Don't need it for the seats or door panels as these are good. Europe would be preferred as I'm in Portugal, so from many countries I could avoid extra VAT, import taxes etc.
Regards
Pedro

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Caviar (116) MB tex ... Where to source it ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 14:57:05 »
I need to replace the vinyl / MB tex on my dash, windscreen/a pillars and soft top compartment cover. My car still has all the original Caviar (116)

Fuggetaboutidd, :P

'Unobtainium' how a famous long-termed (Board) member here tend to say. :o

The early interior style materials (carpet, vinyl = MB Tex) were replaced in late 1967 with the then new 280 SL material choice.
The older material, e.g. the old style deep-dark-grey "caviar" (code 116) was among these replaced materials. They're NLA.
Of course you can get the "younger" black MB-Tex for a 280 SL, which has got  a coarser grain.
But the finer grain of the early style MB Tex in not available anymore.

At least I do not know any source for it.

Try to find an as close match of any generic vinyl you can find; then you have to adapt the color by spraying. There are specific dyes available.
Or you find a few left over parts (dash) from parted-out cars, e.g. the vinyl only.
This is posible from time to time ...

Good luck !

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Portugal, Lisbon, Estoril
Re: Caviar (116) MB tex ... Where to source it ?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 22:15:55 »
Achim,

Not what I was hoping to hear ....but thank you for the reply and tips. I think I will have to go for the dye ..

Regards
Pedro