Author Topic: Dansk 65 liter 230SL Fuel Tank Recent Experience Question  (Read 12343 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Hi All,

I've read somewhere that there were issues with the absence of baffles in the Dansk 82 liter 250SL and 280SL reproduction fuel tanks.  Does anyone have any experience with the Dansk 65 liter 230SL reproduction fuel tank?  Does anyone know how it's built inside?

I also saw somewhere that someone had a problem with the filler neck being about 2 or 3 inches too short to the extent that the large body grommet and fuel filler cap wouldn't even fit.

Any recent experience with the Dansk tanks?

Tom Kizer
Levis, Quebec, Canada
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Dansk 65 liter 230SL Fuel Tank Recent Experience Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 03:53:35 »
I seem to remember that it was the 82 liter tank that had that problem then I remembered that I shouldn't count on my memory for things like this.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:54:57 »
New Dansk tank installed 2 months ago, no problems.  Works fine for now.   
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 16:56:36 »
Thanks, Dan and Alex.  I'll go ahead and order one from CarPartsDiscount.com.  At least they deliver to Canada and take PayPal.  Alex, I assume, because you have a 250SL, that you bought an 82 liter tank.  But if the 82 liter tank is ok now, the 65 liter tank is probably ok too.

Tom Kizer
Levis, Quebec, Canada

JonathanB

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 21:41:59 »
... a little off topic, so please forgive me.

In thinking about replacement fuel tanks it occurred to me that you might want to get the SMALLER tank if possible for the simple reason that you will be cycling through the fuel more frequently so you will have less OLD FUEL in the tank at any given time.  This is only a consideration for the collector/Sunday car people.  If you drive the car often and/or for long trips, then you should get the bigger tank.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 00:09:22 »
I decided to get the 65 liter tank for the simple reason that the 82 liter tank appears to have been released for sale first and also appears to have had some problems.  I figure the 65 liter tank is less likely to have problems since it was released for sale later.

My car also came with a 65 liter tank and I don't want to move the fuel pump, as some have mentioned was necessary when upsizing.

By the way, the 65 liter tank is a little more expensive.  I wonder why.

Anyway, when putting it away for the winter, I fill it up and add something to keep the fuel from going sour.

Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 21:51:40 »
Well, after 10 days, I know the answer.  The 65 L tank filler neck is way too short too.
After all I spent for shipping, taxes and customs brokerage fees, I'm going to fix it myself (I hope).

I'm going to cut the filler neck and add in a rubber fuel filler neck 45 degree elbow to put the cap in the right place.  I've added photos of the new tank stacked on the original tank so you all can see what the problem is.  the first is rear view and the second it a right side view.

I'll post my solution photos once I've fitted the tank in a couple of weeks.

Tom Kizer
Levis, Quebec, Canada

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 22:07:19 »
How could they get that so wrong? Especially when they apparently got the 82L tank right. Maybe they've tried to use the same filler neck on both tanks?
Before cutting I think you should consider requesting a refund and buying an MB tank.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 23:27:00 »
Dave, read my post again.  I've already spent too much because I live in Canada.  Shipping it back to get a refund will cost me again.  Taxes and duties and brokerage fees are not refundable as far as I know and shipping is another $100 US +.

I've read somewhere that the MB tanks can problematical also.  My experience with MB parts in general is that a few years ago, they started making junk for the old car parts.  I know because I've bought some.

If you want something done right, you most often have to do it yourself, so I'll fix the tank and know it's right when I'm done.  My original tank was not salvageable.

I searched some 82 L tanks and found the statement that the internal baffles are missing from the tank.  It's sold by Parts Geek.  They at least warned about the missing baffles.

I just wish these sellers and manufacturers could get the design right or at least be truthful.  It's not horseshoes, where close is good enough.

Tom Kizer

mercakungen

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Finland, Central Finland, Porvoo
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 05:01:18 »
Hello Tom,

For me it looks that the neck has got a hit. Before you start any cutting try to bend the neck back to its place. By the picture length of the neck looks right.

BR,
Matti
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:41:55 by mercakungen »
-70 280SL
-57 Continental MK II
-70 Plymouth AAR Cuda
ex:
-61 220SEb Coupe "Kompressor"
-61 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
-53 VW T1 "Zwitter"

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:56 »
Tom
I agree with Matti. It looks like it got hit.
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 14:47:36 »
At some point, the corner of the seam took a hit because you can see that about 1/2 inch of the corner is curled up.  I examined microscopically the entire area, including the neck and the fill cap bayonet fitting.  There are no marks anywhere except the corner of the seam.  The paint shows no damage, even microscopic damage.  I'll look again at the tank, the filler neck, the box and bubble wrap with an eye to looking for some "soft damage" that might have come through the box and bubble wrap.  In my opinion, the upper neck is shorter than the lower neck in the photo and, at best, the problem would be less but still there.

I'll keep working on it.  If you are right, at least fixing that much of the problem will make it easier to fix the entire problem.

I'll post any improvements that I can make.

Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 15:24:46 »
OK, you were right.  I didn't ask myself the right questions.  There is no damage to the paint of the neck, but it apparently took a soft hit through the bubble wrap and box.  The two photos show (but not very well) a "kink" in a sort of rib stamped into the upper surface near the neck where a "kink" would be if one shoved the neck top in the direction that would cause the problem.

The tip of the arrows identify where there is a depression in the upper part of the tank.\

I'll have to try to reposition the neck where it is supposed to be by either moving the neck (and risk damaging the neck weld joint) or welding a "dent pull rod" to the tank where the depression is, like a  body man would do.  In fact, I think I'll take to my body restorer, along with the original tank to use as an "objective" position.

Thank you all for your observations.  Your help has been extremely valuable.  I'm now convinced that you've given me the solution with much less work than my original method would have required.

Tom Kizer

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 16:55:30 »
Tom
I am also evaluating to either have my existing tank cleaned and sealed or simply buy a new one. I was about to buy the same tank from Dansk until I red your post. I would be very interested to hear the outcome of your situation. Were the problems due to bending of the neck during shipping or is there an actual fitting problem?
Alex, I assume you fitted a Dansk 82 liter tank?
I would also like to re-ask Toms initial question: Did anybody else install the Dansk 65 liter tank yet? 
Thank you much
Dirk
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 18:19:14 »
Whether I fix it myself or not, I'll get it fixed rather than to expend 2/3 its value replacing it.  I'll also make sure that CarPartsDiscount.com knows that they screwed up in the packaging.  Hopefully I can save someone else the same problems.

I'll also explore the internals if I can, to determine whether the baffles (flower pot or equivalent) is installed.

I'll  be back here with results in a few days or a week or two when it's fitted to the car.

Thanks again.

Tom Kizer

mbpaul

• Senior
  • USA, NM, Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 19:43:04 »
My tank in my 1966 230SL had a lot of rust in it.  No holes or leaks but plenty of rust.  I had it "professionally" cleaned and sealed a couple of times and the rust  kept coming back.  In addition to the rust, the car just did not run right.  Sometimes low on power, sometimes stalling.

I had a MBCA voucher from buying a new Mercedes that was almost to expire so I got the Mercedes tank.  I took the old tank out and tried to put the new one in.  It just would not fit!  After about 45 minutes, a neighbor walked by and asked if he could help.  I guess he had a much better eye than I do because he immediately pointed out that the angle of the filler tube was different on the new tank when compared with the old one.  It only took a few seconds to bend it to match the old tank and it was installed in just a few minutes after that.  Even though it seemed to have been packed to prevent this from happening, it evidently was not good enough.  I wish the neighbor had walked past sooner!

After installing the new tank, the car's engine seemed like it had been replaced as well.  Power was back and no stalling.  That was a couple years ago and it still runs great.  I wish I had done it sooner but was always reluctant to pay the super high price.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 19:59:41 »
Well, Matti, you were right.  I decided that before I took it to my body guy, I should have the opportunity to destroy it myself.  I can forgive myself but it would take years for me to forgive him if he destroyed it. 

I tried to move the neck by hand buy couldn't quite make it move, so I took a breaker bar, wrapped the handle end with tape, shoved it as far as it would go in the curved neck and started prying in the direction required to put the filler where it belongs.

Ten minutes later, I took some photos.  The photos show the results.  I haven't tried to fit it yet but I did measure the fill cap location relative to the corners and the seam.  They are all the same as the original tank.  The photos look right now as well (at least to me).  By the way, when I first started with the breaker bar, at one point it "popped" and a large part of the problem was fixed.  A small additional adjustment was all it took to get it where I wanted it. 

The only thing left to do is install it, maybe remove it and tweak it with the breaker bar and put it back.

I want to thank everyone of you for your interest and expertise.  I'm much wiser now and extremely happy.

Tom Kizer

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 22:18:08 »
Well spotted and a nice fix!
The vulnerability of the filler neck in transport definitely sounds like something to be aware of.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 23:08:53 »
Looks good. Well done and thanks for posting.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 10:21:32 »
Well, Matti, you were right.  I decided that before I took it to my body guy, I should have the opportunity to destroy it myself.  I can forgive myself but it would take years for me to forgive him if he destroyed it. 

I tried to move the neck by hand buy couldn't quite make it move, so I took a breaker bar, wrapped the handle end with tape, shoved it as far as it would go in the curved neck and started prying in the direction required to put the filler where it belongs.

Ten minutes later, I took some photos.  The photos show the results.  I haven't tried to fit it yet but I did measure the fill cap location relative to the corners and the seam.  They are all the same as the original tank.  The photos look right now as well (at least to me).  By the way, when I first started with the breaker bar, at one point it "popped" and a large part of the problem was fixed.  A small additional adjustment was all it took to get it where I wanted it. 

The only thing left to do is install it, maybe remove it and tweak it with the breaker bar and put it back.

I want to thank everyone of you for your interest and expertise.  I'm much wiser now and extremely happy.

Tom Kizer

I too bought a Dansk 82L tank in the UK.
The packing was rather poor and it was damaged in transit.
The supplier kindly replaced it.
Fits fine. The filler neck has to be slightly adjusted with a hammer handle.
The flower pot arrangement looks very different. It seems to be syphoning fuel from the centre of the fuel filter (see pic)

naj
68 280SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 11:20:55 »
If anyone buys a new MB tank could you try and post a picture of the flower pot in that one?  I have a funny feeling that 2 different companies wouldn't invest in some very expensive stamping molds to stamp out the same part.  If my theory holds true the Dansk and MB might be the same tank.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 11:33:23 »
If anyone buys a new MB tank could you try and post a picture of the flower pot in that one?  I have a funny feeling that 2 different companies wouldn't invest in some very expensive stamping molds to stamp out the same part.  If my theory holds true the Dansk and MB might be the same tank.

Definitely different!

MB pot pictures from Blacklick below.

naj
68 280SL

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 14:31:31 »
In my last post, I suggested that I had solved my Dansk tank filler neck problem by bending it into the correct orientation.

That's not strictly true.  I recently installed it and although it fits very well and the neck passes through the hole in "almost" the perfect place (correctable by bending 1/4" one more time), it is still about one or one and a half inches too short.

I've ordered a 2.25" Inside Diameter Gates Universal filler neck hose with a 45 degree bend in the middle to "extend along the same arc as the current filler neck" from Rock Auto.  I'll cut the short filler neck in the middle, "break" the sharp edges and add a cut-to-fit piece of the extension in the middle of the neck.  I should be able to "FIT" the neck assembly to make it perfect.  It will take another week or so to get the hose and fit the tank again.  I'll be back with a progress report with photos, instructions and hose part numbers in a few days, once I get it all put together.

Tom Kizer

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Portugal, Lisbon, Estoril
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 08:49:01 »
Hi,

I had the Dansk 65 liter installed in my 1966 230 SL last week.
No complaints or issues from the guy that did it.
After some of the above posts I had asked him previously to compare the tanks (original one I decided to replace as the car had been "parked" for 8 years and not confident I could get someone here to refurbish)...and he had told me the exterior was the same.

Regards
Pedro

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 01:29:55 »
The MB tank pictured is an old one.  I am interested in what is being supplied today.