Author Topic: 1969 280sl, sudden loss of brakes and will not shift  (Read 9764 times)

cattledog

Re: 1969 280sl, sudden loss of brakes and will not shift
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 19:08:34 »
Hello,

I went on a test drive today after finishing up the following tasks:
- replaced front calipers
- replaced flexible brake lines
- replaced master cylinder
- bled system with a power bleeder (highly recommend)
- installed new transmission linkage bushing
- cleaned a few pounds of oil and dirt from the front suspension!

The car ran fine- it was good to have a working brake system again.   :)   I used this "power brake bleeder" and I highly recommend it - very easy to use:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-motive-parts/european-power-bleeder/motivepb/?gclid=CLWxx5jY2dQCFU9qfgodnAgBvQ

I also bought a few of their catch bottles which are a "nice to have" item but can also be improvised easily.

Frustratingly though, the transmission linkage pushing "popped off" after about 20 minutes of driving.   I thought I was going to have to call for a tow but was able to reach under the car and put the linkage back together with my hand.   The linkage that came apart is furthest from the shifter, down by the transmission.   Definitely was a special moment when the linkage came apart lol.  I didn't have my cell phone but was able to pull over safely in my neighborhood in a good spot and there was no traffic at all. 

I think the bushing I had might be a bit "soft" - it was not very difficult to install and I suppose its even softer when things heat up down there where it is installed.    The bushing looks like this,

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=111-267-00-83-M22

Can the bushing be installed upside down?   That was another thought that occurred to me.

Should there be a clip or other type of retainer to keep the linkage together, or is it just the bushing itself that should keep the linkage together?   I saw an earlier post where a guy had "wired his up" but this sounds like a hack.   I will probably get another bushing from a different supplier and see if that helps unless anyone has a different suggestion.

Thanks
Chris
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 19:20:54 by cattledog »

cattledog

Re: 1969 280sl, sudden loss of brakes and will not shift
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 04:50:58 »
Hi there,
I looked the linkage over again this evening and decided that I had in fact installed the bushing upside down.   The bushing is cut so the hole is smaller on one side than the other.  After forcing the post offered by the arm on the transmission the linkage feels much more solid.

Fingers crossed - hopefully the problem is solved now.

Chris