Author Topic: Introduction: ME & '68 250 SL drk. Green/ Cognac  (Read 5399 times)

n/a

Introduction: ME & '68 250 SL drk. Green/ Cognac
« on: April 28, 2003, 12:06:41 »
Hi All,

Thought I should introduce myself, since most of you know each other and I just pop in for the good advice.

My name is Kayvan and I have loved MB's all my life. I got hooked on the 113 in Spring of '91 when I saw a ratty looking '68 250 SL, driving thru NY citys Central Park. It was British Racing Green with a tan interior and tan top. The paint was faded; the grill was missing, both headlight doors were broken; taillight was busted; top ripped, and all over it looked bad.
The driver stopped, and I asked him if he wanted to sell. He thought I was crazy; but, I persisted and handed him a businees card. He said: $4500.
He said he would call me. He did and I said I would take it. Probelm was I had $1000 in the bank and made $30k a year!. I searched high and low and came up $0. Finally, I applied for 2 credit cards; and half of my next paycheck and bought it.

Well, the little Roadstrer came back to life. I went 100% used parts from the folks listed in Star Magazine (Potomac, Tri-Star, etc.). Did the following over the next 3 yrs.

-Grill/Star :D  was in trunk...gotta love that
-Compounded paint; came back like new
-Saddle soap the entire interior...amazing result.
-Shampooed rug;
-New Head light doors ($75, $125)
-tailight $215
-Bumpers $500 (sold old ones for $225, and guards from new one for $100)
-Sheepskins $175
-Pirrelli P44s - $250
-German Top $425; installation $375
-Assorted $150: chrome pieces, reflectors, matts, etc.
-Suspension work front: $1500
-New Bilsteins: $500
-Transmission filter kit : $35
-New ignition wires, cap, rotors: $250
-Die hard: $65
-Kangol belts: $100
-5500 mile service $1000

The big expenses was about 3 years later; I was driving on the highway and she just lost power. I pulled to the side of the road and she wouldn't start.
However, few hours later it started, and ran but made a terrible banging noise. Could never figure out what happened as I just checked the oil and fluid and it was fine. That summer I had put a lot miles on it, and a few times lugged 2 extra buddies in the rear shelf for rides back from the beach.
Twice it was low on oil and once very low on coolant. Maybe this caused a bearing or some part to get warped and later seize?

I had a great 113 mechanic at the time. Couldn't speak English; but from what I gathered, the Engine broke a rod; or one of the main bearings broke or crankshaft broke. The engine didn't seize, etc, as I was told it wouldn't have cranked or ran if it did this, and would cost $6000 to rebuild. Well, it took him 6 months and he removed essentially the whole engine and rebuilt the top half. It cost me $3000, and its been running fine since, with exactly even compression on all cylinders.

That was in '94 and its been a summer driver ever since; it gets very little use (1500mi in 5 yrs) and is need of a major tune up for this summer. Currently it needs some ignition rotor/cap work, which my mechanic is working on.

So, I am going to upgrade the lights to Halogen; maybe put in a new exhaust and have it ready for the beach again. Any guess, as to the value of this would be appreciated. Paint still shiny, but, it has some dents, nicks, and rust around lights, front wheel well, driver floor and trunk floor. Seat leather is shot; but fine w/sheepskins. Door and dash leather is fine. I cut most of the rust out, and ground it and primed. But, at some point in needs a body restoration. I have been told $9000-10,000 for a strong running car, in need of paint/body restoration?

Thanks,

Kayvan :D

http://www.mbca-ct.com/roadstersofthe60sandearlier/view.nhtml?profile=roadstersofthe60sandearlier&UID=10003

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Introduction: ME & '68 250 SL drk. Green/ Cognac
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 13:01:26 »
Interesting story! In the Netherlands I would say the price you mention is on the low side (which is why so many of these US model cars have been, and continue to be, repatriated back to the old country) as it is hard to find a Pagoda for that kind of money that is not in desparate need of serious work. The going rate I would say here for a car in the condition as you describe, would be around $15,000.

But why sell it, ever :-)
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Douglas

Re: Introduction: ME & '68 250 SL drk. Green/ Cognac
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 13:36:12 »
kayvan

welcome & thanks for sharing your story. love to hear about genuine enthusiasts like yourself.

it's also great to see another car from the NY area. i'm in manhattan.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY