Author Topic: Jump seat or Kinder seat suggestions  (Read 4755 times)

Jimmyhag

Jump seat or Kinder seat suggestions
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:56:02 »
My '69 280 SL has been being professionally restored for the past 30 months and the project is close to completion. The remaining work includes installing the soft top, front seats and the "jump seat" or "kinder seat"  area behind the front seats. There are no parts for this area and Charles at MB Classic Car Center told me that the company no longer produces or carries the carpeted platform for the rear compartment.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a upholstery fabrication shop or manufacturer that sells the platform pieces that can carpeted or a jump seat alternative?

Thanks in advance

Jimmyhag

pisani

Re: Jump seat or Kinder seat suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:11:49 »
I just bought from GAT to my 68 280SL the complete carpet set including the rear mats for the jump or kinder seat.

wjsvb ✝︎

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:19:00 »
I'll give you a detective job: a member here, whose name escapes me, lives in Birdsboro (near Reading), has at least one side of the structure, carpeted in blue, for the rear parcel shelf.  I saw it at the Oley show in July.  Good luck!
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:17:00 »
KHM do a carpet set for the Kinder seat setup.  I have installed them and they were excellent. The pieces are made to fit into the body shape without the timber floor units behind the seats.  I am not sure if they do the Kinder seat though.

See http://www.cabrio.de/en/carpets/car-models-prices
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:56:46 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G
2005 MB A200
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Electric
2024 Volvo EX30 Electric

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 01:45:19 »
I am not the safest person in the world but the thought of someone being in a accident where they are sitting sideways next to the steel edge of the soft top compartment gives me pause.  That being said there is usually one on eBay at any given time.  Search "Kinder Seat"

Erics

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:47:35 »
I am in the same situation: my pagoda has been fully restored but had no kinder seat originally.

I contacted D-class in Surrey in the UK who is the leading trimmer for Mercedes in the UK.

They converted many pagodas to kinder seats specs in the past.

I will get mine done. They order parts which take 4 weeks to arrive. So someone must be making the wooden parts somewhere in the world. I would guess Germany.

The overall cost including seatbelts is £1200-1400.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 22:15:07 »
Hi Jimmyhag,

Bud's Benz is currently making for me two completely upholstered Parcel Shelves to match my Blue square weave carpeting and to replace "occasionally" my blue leather upholstered Kinder seat.  I love my Kinder seat, but once in a while, I would like to pop out the Kinder seat and pop in the Parcel Shelves

Bud's already sells the wood parcel shelves but until now had not upholstered them and had not attached hardware.  I'm anxiously awaiting their completion of the project and mailing them to me.

"Another reason I wanted to have Parcel Shelves is that my "Windschott" or Wind Screen requires that I remove the Kinder seat backrest in order to install the wind screen.  The top of the backrest is too high to accommodate the wind screen."

It's not going to be cheap but it's something I've wanted for a long time.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)