Author Topic: Folding Top Rods  (Read 5084 times)

n/a

Folding Top Rods
« on: April 29, 2003, 13:23:20 »
In the process of removing my hardtop and unfolding the soft top, I managed to bend one of the lateral rods that I assume are there to prevent the top fabric from getting fouled in the top mechanism during the folding process.  (I work for an automotive OEM and these have a little bit the look of a last-minute change!)  The rods are designed to slid into the rearmost bow when it is folded upward during top stowage.

I received today new rods from SLS here in Germany, but these do not match the profile of the one good rod that is in the top.  Does anyone have one of these rods out of the car that they could scan / photocopy for me?

Thanks,

Lowell Paddock
1966 230SL

Ben

Re: Folding Top Rods
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 02:40:58 »
Sorry I cant help, but I have exactly the same problem !

One good rod and one badly bent !

I'd be interested in the solution so hopefully someone can help !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 06:21:43 »
Hi
These rods/springs are available from Star Quality and I think K&K have them also. They aren't shown in their catalogs, but if you enquire, they do stock them. They weren't expensive when I ordered one last year($10 cdn. I think). I had a bent one and tried numerous times to strighten it and it just kept bending again. No problem once the new one was installed. I can't take a picture, but mine are completely straight, about 12"(30cm.) with a complete curl at one end where it fastens to the arm. My softtop is an early style with wooden back bow.
Richard V
'67 250sl
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 06:27:28 by Ricardo »

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 12:40:21 »
Update on the folding top rods:

The part is not all that hard to install, but like so many things on our beloved Pagodas, it will try your patience in the extreme!

Gernold told me that it is much easier to do this with some of the top fabric removed, and he is right, but it can be done without doing so.  I would suggest taking out the old rod out of the rear bow first (you will be throwing it away anyway), so as to reduce tension on the bolt holding the rounded end of the rod in place.  Find a wide-head normal screwdriver and loosen the bolt holding the rounded end of the rod in place on the top bow.  Be careful when taking it out as 1) it is easy to foul the screw head because your are probably the first person in 40 years doing this job and 2) there is a small washer that sits between the rod and the top bow.  

Installation is simply the reverse, although I found it helpful to put a little "crown" in the wire so that it would slide into the rear bow more easily.  I put some silicone one the wire itself and sprayed a small amount into the bottom of the rear bow.  It is easier to re-install the bolt from inside the car from behind -- there isn't enough access to work through the folded top material.  You will probably drop the bolt and / or washer a dozen times, but it will eventually go in.  

My only remaining question is the correct lubricant.  No matter what you put on it (oil, graphite, silicone), it will leave some kind of mark on the top.  Given how easy it is for the rod to get fouled, I have to imagine that some kind of lubricant is required.  Anyone know??

Lowell