Author Topic: Article on Joe Alexander  (Read 10129 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Article on Joe Alexander
« on: December 22, 2004, 08:58:57 »
Gents,

This Sunday in the Columbus Dispatch there will be an article on Joe Alexander, "JA17" who contributes so much to this group.  Hopefully this will be available on line, if not I'll get a copy and post it.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Article on Joe Alexander
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 16:34:11 »
Yes, Michael,

Please do so. It is very interesting for all of us to hear what they say about our good friend Joe.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 19:22:40 »
I got contacted by the writer to contribute, but couldn't get together with him before the deadline today.  I can't wait to read the story!

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:02:38 »
Any pictures around - of his Australian Rally?
Yes I do know it was in a 107  :twisted:
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 15:59:37 »
Hello Guys,
A giant ice storm has ripped through Central Ohio. My electricity has been off since Wednesday night. It is still off now. My computer naturally is out of action also. My wife's W123 Mecedes wagon is great on snow and ice so at the moment I am in the process of gathering food, kerosene (for heat) and water since our well is out when the electric is off. Fortunately the electric is on here at work so I am checking in on this computer. The temperature will be below zero for the next two days and heat is the priority since we may not have electric until Monday or Tuesday.

A thick coating of ice is on everything. Electric lines, and trees have collapsed under the
weight of the ice. So I may be a little scarce for the next few days.

Hello Naj,
I have some great photos of the Adelaide Rally. I will post them soon somewhere on the web for anyone interested in seeing them.  We have lots of war stories for anyone interested in this kind of competition. I guess we were on the evening news in Adelaide and a nice video will be out soon, also "The Speed Channel" (cable) will air it sometime after it runs on Australian TV. It was an amazing experience. Yes I did drive the wife's W107 450-SLC in the event. This model was used in rally competitions by the factory back then. Since the car must have "historical significance" to be eligible for an invitation this was suitable. The wife sure was surprised when her SLC showed up one day with a full roll cage in it!!

There was a W113 230-SL from Great Britain but he was in the non-racing touring class. The Australians rolled out the red carpet for everyone. Ovwer 100,000 spectators and so much more. This is a beautiful country with very warm and friendly people. I believe we were the first Mercedes to ever participate in the competition class of The Adelaide. It would be nice to see a W113 racing there some day!

I am not sure what to expect on the article coming up in the local paper. I am hoping the W113 group gets a little press out of it also. I displayed the W113 group decal on the window of the Adelaide Rally Car during the event. I plan on having the car on display at the Blacklick Tech Session this summer also.

Merry Christmas everyone. I will check in whenever possible!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 19:03:08 »
Thanks Joe,
I'm sure we can wait for the pictures/stories till you're sorted. Merry Christmas and Keep Warm

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 20:42:24 »
Hello,
The electric just came back on! Check out the ice!

Download Attachment: ice1.jpg
65.61 KB

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 22:31:02 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 14:02:50 »
Hey Joe

What a great Xmas-card Pic!

We in Australia are having 33C days and humidity to melt the contents of your sugar bowl.

We never have a white Christmas like yours with open fires, hot dinners, toasted nuts etc sounds great doesn't it? but the reality with no electricity?

So Keep warm and think of us melting at the dinner table.

I have been waiting to see/read of your exploits in the land down under. When you post those pics please let us all know the site address.

Best wishes to you and yours

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

pembash

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 15:36:22 »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Hello Joe,
Any idea of the date when the rally would be telecast in Australia?
What a shame, inspite of my making innumerable telephone calls and messages to Hilton, Adelaide, we could'nt get together in Sydney or Canberra. Maybe we will bump into each other somewhere else!
Best
Bob
70-280SL, White and Blue

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 21:00:42 »
Hello Bob,
Sorry I did not get to meet you down there. We spent very little time in our hotel.
There was just too much going on.
I was getting all kinds of messages back at the hotel. We were invited to meet the Governor of South Australia one day, the Mayor of Adelaide one evening and Mercedes-Benz treated all the Mercedes crews to a huge feast down on the oceanfront another evening, with Sir Jack, and Murray Walker and many other dignitaries. After the second day of competition, Gauger Street was closed off so the cars could be parked and a giant street party was held with thousands of people, the rally cars and crews.
In addition we were busy preparing for the next day's competion in the evenings also. Thank heavens we did not have any repair work to do on the car.  
One of the local Mercedes enthusiasts Hendrick Riessen, showed us around one day after the event. We went to the National Motorcar Museum and some sight seeing.
Anyway local TV 10 was trying to get a video camera mounted in our car but we could never get together in time. Finnally the last day at lunch, we were interviewed and were on the evening news that same night. So we were very busy!
The event will be televised on Adelaide channel 10 January 30th. It may also be run on "The Speed Channel" sometime this next season on the cable in the US. I would like to get a copy of the TV broadcast from someone if possible.
I will have a video made by the organizers of the event sometime in Jan. The event this year was well represented by members of the 190SL group, and 300SL group all of which were in the non racing "touring classes". (over twenty 300SLs, and about twelve 190SLs).
I suspect that the 50th Anniversery of the W113 SL's will be celebrated at The Classic Adelaide 2013 for you young dreamers out there!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 21:10:29 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 10:10:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Hello Guys,
A giant ice storm has ripped through Central Ohio. My electricity has been off since Wednesday night.

Joe,
Glad to hear your power came back on - I figured you got hit to some extent.
Others,
This storm was bad:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896&e=10&u=/nm/20041224/us_nm/weather_usa_dc
Here on the other side of town from Joe, we had about 8 - 10 inches of snow on Wednesday, it warmed up to sleet over night (but no freezing ran like Joe had), and then it cooled and snowed another 2 inches on Thursday.  Thursday night it got down to -10F.  No power outages over here because the ice just missed us by a couple miles.  This morning (Monday) on the local news they said there are still about 90,000 people in Ohio with no power.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 10:16:59 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 11:29:06 »
Gents,

Somehow this thread wandered from Joe Alexander himself to his holiday weather woes...but back to the topic--here is the article.

Designing mind takes him from homemade sub to movable walls
Sunday, December 26, 2004

By JOE BLUNDO

Joe Alexander was still in high school when he began building a one-man submarine from surplus airplane parts and an old washing machine. ‘‘It was a little crude, but I was young and foolish," he said. Young, certainly, but not so foolish.
The submarine worked.

Alexander finished the sub when he was about 20 and a student at the University of Cincinnati. Then he tested it by climbing in and submerging it in the swimming pool at the old Desert Inn nightclub on E. Broad Street. The Desert Inn wasn’t in the habit of testing submarines, but Joe’s family owned the place.

By then, it must have been obvious that young Joe would not be entering the family business. Anyone who builds a submarine just to see whether he can is probably headed in a different vocational direction.

The sub, a minor sensation, was displayed at the old COSI for a few years. Alexander went on to other mechanical challenges.

At 54, the soft-spoken Alexander has rather specialized areas of expertise: He knows a lot about movable walls and vintage Mercedes-Benz roadsters.

The two are not as unrelated as they sound. Alexander’s affection for Mercedes cars began at 15, when he received his first one, a 1955 that he still owns.

Fascinated by engineering and design, he turned himself into a Mercedes expert whose knowledge was sought by other enthusiasts. One of them was Dale Beavers, president of Artglo, a sign and design company at 2651 Johnstown Rd. (It made the "ART" sign at the Columbus College of Art & Design.)

Beavers was so impressed by Alexander’s mechanical know-how that he hired him at Artglo.

About four years ago, Beavers told Alexander that a customer wanted a flexible, modular wall system — in two weeks.

He came up with what would later be dubbed Smartwalls, a free-standing, movable, expandable wall system. Decorative magnetic panels are applied to a steel framework that can be reconfigured overnight.

‘‘Companies don’t like a lot of drywall dust from demolition anymore," Alexander explained.

He is now vice president of Artglo’s Smartwalls subsidiary. But he doesn’t look like a vice president. With the sleeves of his work shirt rolled up, he roams the company’s shop, where sparks fly and metal clangs. He looks like what he is — a guy who likes grease under his fingernails.

Alexander lives in Blacklick in a 1,200-square-foot house with an 1,800-square-foot garage. For owners of certain Mercedes-Benz models, visiting Blacklick is like making a pilgrimage. Every year, Alexander invites owners of the cars he loves — sporty Mercedes SLs built in the 1960s and early ’70s — to his home for a workshop.

Cees Klumper travels from the Netherlands.

‘‘Not only does Joe know everything about this, and other Mercedes models of the era, but he is also incredibly generous with this knowledge," Klumper said.

‘‘Very humble, very quiet," said Michael Salemi of Michigan. ‘‘An endless source of information."

Last month, Alexander and Beavers shipped a 1974 Mercedes 450 SLC to Australia to participate in a four-day road rally, the Classic Adelaide Rally. With Alexander driving and Beavers navigating, they placed a respectable 31 st of 60 competitors in their class.

A lot of cars succumbed to mechanical failure before the rally ended — but not Alexander’s. His machines don’t sink unless he wants them to.

Joe Blundo is a Dispatch columnist.
jblundo@dispatch.com

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Ben

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 07:43:40 »
quote:
His machines don’t sink unless he wants them to.

........dont you just love that quote !!

Well done Michael for the reproduction of the article and cheers to Joe for being .........well...."Joe" I guess !!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 04:28:03 »
Here Here!

RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto