Author Topic: protection layer "Ceramic Pro"  (Read 4277 times)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
protection layer "Ceramic Pro"
« on: September 21, 2017, 02:40:32 »
Anybody have any experience with this product?
http://ceramicpro.com/hydrophobic-coating-ceramic-pro/

Sounds like a high-tech clear coat.

Peter
London, Canada
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

smackYYZ

Re: protection layer "Ceramic Pro"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 13:05:25 »
Peter,

That is what it pretty much is. If you build the layers up it offers a bit more protection. Depends on what your objective is, if it's great shine and easy maintenance of it, it's a great product. But if your going for protection, I'd look at XPEL. Cermaic Pro is pretty much a permanent install, XPEL can be removed and or replaced.

XPEL is great at protection, I had my Corvette wrapped in it and it has protected it well. But I've seen a few cars with Cermaic Pro and the shine is fantastic.

Mike

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 18:08:37 »
Originally designed for aircraft and I believe widely used to improve aerodynamic efficiency.

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:48:19 »
i recently had my new jag covered with both ceramic pro and xpel. XPEL is a clear-bra type product the I had put on the car from the windsheild forward. Love it and it has a ten year warranty. Don't have to worry about stone chips in the front of the car and you cant tell its on the car. We then coated the entire car in ceramic pro including the xpel. Yes its very shiny but I'm not sure its worth the retail price. Its suppose to keep my car cleaner after a rain but I don't see much difference. They say it protects from scratches but only fine ones from like washing the car. I had it put on the brake calipers and wheels and it does help keep the brake dust off.

If you have a dark solid car its probably worth it as it does limit scratches that would make the surface hazy over time. I  would'nt waist the money on a light colored car though. I am doing a rotisserie restoration of my 280 now and certainly plan on installing the Xpel. I will cover the entire front of the car and the door threshold plates. Not sure about the ceramic pro though.

JohnK
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

pj

• Gold
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:46 »
Thanks, guys. Very interesting, and helpful.

Do you think there is any advantage to applying one/either of these products when the car comes out of the paint shop, before everything gets re-assembled? Or is it better to add to a complete car?
Peter J

smackYYZ

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 15:52:10 »
PJ,

XPEL should not be applied until the paint has cured for at least 30 days.

My XPEL installer was very particular, he didn't want to leave a cut line from going around the mirror, so his solution was to disassemble the door. When I first went to his shop there were various high end cars in a state of disassembly due to their high standards of work. They don't use pre cut templates which allows them to have no exposed edges. Here is a link to some of their work http://www.sekanskin.com/portfolio/

pj

• Gold
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 16:46:01 »
A little more research turned up this video about the XPEL product
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4vE9vmQWE

Amazing what teenagers are doing these days :-)
Peter J

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 00:29:30 »
you should wait several months after you paint before you apply the Expel to make sure the paint is completely cured. The issue comes when you go to pull it off ten years or so from now. It can pull off some of the clear coat. Some detailers don't recommend it for repaints for that reason but I am willing to take the risk and am waiting 6 months myself.  I would do a good bit or research as to how long you should wait. I highly recommend it for the front clip of the car if you are going to drive it. Ceramic pro costs a couple grand to have it put on thick enough to get the full warranty and I'm not 100% convinced yet that its worth it. They advertise that you can't scratch a car with a plastic lighter when you have ceramic pro, but a high-end detailer at a local MBCA event showed us how you can't scratch paint with a lighter even if you don't have ceramic pro. He like the product, but believes their advertising is false in regards to scratch protection.

John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540