Author Topic: No reverse gear on 65 230 sl with auto transmission  (Read 5542 times)

yash

No reverse gear on 65 230 sl with auto transmission
« on: September 23, 2017, 16:01:43 »
I have a 65 230sl that I brought over from the U.K. I've been gradually restoring it over the years when I have the money, driving it around with no problems for the last twenty years! This Spring I took it out drove around for a few months, great as usual, put it in the garage, went to drive it the next day and ...no reverse. Is this something that anyone has heard of before?

All the other gears work, there was no loud noise or anything to indicate anything was wrong. Anyway since May I've been trying to fix it but it's been pretty much impossible to find someone. I found a mechanic in Toronto that said they could help.

I spoke to them this morning and they said they would send it to the Mercedes dealer,  who, without even looking at it said it would be  a minimum of $5000! Which doesn't include taking it out and putting it back again! Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Re: No reverse gear on 65 230 sl with auto transmission
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 16:48:10 »
I would begin with the shift linkage - is everything moving as it should?  How is the level of the transmission fluid?  Failing that, I see that there is an Aamco transmission shop in North York.  You would be surprised how many dealers in the United States outsource their transmission repairs to Aamco.

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 17:34:19 »
The shifter connects with a lever on the transmission via a rod. There are plastic bushings in the ends of the rod. They are somewhat soft so that you can pry the rod off the lever of the transmission. These bushings wear and it is possible that there is enough wear so that the lever on the transmission does not reach the reverse position. That is the first thing you should check! Pry the rod off and move the lever on the transmission  by hand. It moves easily and has distinct positions. These transmissions last a very long time unlike the newer models. Let me know how it goes.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 17:37:53 »
l would try all of the above as well. If it is turns out to be the actual transmission, you may want to check out below link.
http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/Mercedes%20Transmission%20Price%20List.htm
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 18:11:19 »
Do the reverse lights come on when you select reverse?
Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 18:22:12 »
I will bet 1 Euro (1.47 CAD) that it's the linkage/bushings as others described.   If so, the members on this site will have saved you about $4950 .   As a thanks, you may want to spend an extra $30 bucks and join as a full member  ;D , you'll still be ahead by $4900. 

For you, I do hope it's linkage bushings.  You will read a lot about those on this site. They can be replaced at home especially if you read on this site how others have warmed them to install.

best of luck
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

yash

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 18:34:45 »
Thanks for all the replies. The mechanic that has it at the moment has been talking to the Mercedes dealer and asking them what it could be. I think they checked all the linkage connections and the bushings but said everything looks okay so it must be something inside.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 18:40:49 »
most of us learn the hard way that the dealers don't know our cars - the mechanics are too young in most cases and trained on newer cars.   If your mechanic is going to the dealer, he really doesn't understand.   Be careful.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

yash

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 19:13:09 »
Yeah I don't get how they can just say $5000 minimum without even seeing it. I still haven't been told what the problem is.
I read previous comments from other members about the exact problem they had so I thought it would be a reasonably easy fix.
Getting frustrated....

drmb

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • New Zealand, Waikato, Te Awamutu
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 21:17:38 »
If the linkage is OK then check the reverse band adjuster locknut to see if it has come loose ,it is the only band that can be adjusted externally and is at the right side of the auto at the front,the other thing is remove the pan and check to see if the reverse band pivot pin is broken and not allowing the band to engage this has been a fault in the past,both these can be done with the auto in place.
Mercedes Restorer.
1969 280sl 050 whte Blue interior
1996 E320 Cabrio
1963 220se 111-023 cabrio, red,black interior.
1967 Morris Cooper
Lloydmarx@xtra.co.nz

yash

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 22:14:48 »
Hi Paul,
I'm not sure, I didn't think to look.

yash

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 22:17:00 »
Hi drmb,
Thanks, I've been told that everything looks okay externally. I don't have it at home, still in the shop..

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:02 »
Having been in a few automatic transmissions and assuming that our's works the same as most every automatic transmission does what drmb says about the reverse band pivot pin makes complete sense. In order to have reverse you need two things to happen.  The first is for the forward clutch to disengage which means no oil pressure which is pretty foolproof since that is it's normal state and if it were stuck mechanically it would be an extremely rare occurrence.  The second is for the reverse band to engage which relies on some seals on it's piston and hydraulic pressure.  A few things to go wrong there and if they do you are in for a rebuild.  The mechanical portion of the reverse band is fairly straightforward.  There is a strap or "Brake Band" that wraps around a drum inside the transmission.  It's purpose is to stop the drum from turning.  One end is anchored with a pivot pin and adjuster and the other is pushed by a hydraulic piston which tightens the band and applies the brake.  If the pivot pin breaks the band doesn't get tight and if the band is out of adjustment it will not get tight enough to give you reverse.

I would strongly suggest spending an hour's wages on the following:
Have your mechanic check the reverse band adjustment.  As drmb stated this is outside of the transmission and easy to do.  if that doesn't work or if it seems like they have turned in the adjuster a bunch trying to get it to adjust have them pull the pan and look at the reverse band pivot pin.  As a lifelong mechanic I would check those two things on my own car before throwing a sheet over it and pronouncing it dead.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:39 »
Here is a good picture of the adjustment from Joe Alexander via our technical manual.  If they can turn it in more than 3 turns the pivot pin is probably broken.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 13:19:46 »
i second the rear band adjustment,  I had the same issue with my 78 300d.

problem solved.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

rgafitanu@gmail.com

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 13:42:05 »
+1.
Do not chase the linkage bushing. Reverse is in the middle of the PRND32 range. A worn bushing or failed linkage would not disable R only leaving the others working.

AllenF

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 04:17:39 »
this adjustment worked in my case.  118k miles and what's odd is that reverse sort of fell out at once.  I would have thought that it would be gradual, but all's well.