Author Topic: First Service after Purchase  (Read 4251 times)

Eryck

First Service after Purchase
« on: December 24, 2004, 03:58:02 »
Advice sought again...just bought a 230SL a few weeks ago. Have not done anything to it except some cleaning. Before I start to restore it cosmetically, I am planning to take it to a garage to have it mechanically tuned. Apart from the usual engine and gear oil changes, what other routine maintenance should I be looking to do?

Of course, I will discover something wrong that will need to be replaced but I have no experience with old cars at all. Is there anything in particular that I should ask the garage to do or look out for? Spark plugs? Air filters?

The garage will probably tell me that a whole bunch of stuff is wrong with it but I will not know for sure. With some background knowledge, I will at least know what he'll be talking to be about!

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: First Service after Purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 05:37:29 »
Hi, Eryck,
Changing all the fluids and filters is a good start.
Make sure you get all the correct filters and seals before you start.
Please read the various threads on the oil filter seals and change them all.

http://index.php?topic=2589

The manual gearbox takes ATF automatic transmission fluid!
Also, on the 230sl fuel injection pump, there is a dipstick at the back to check the oil level. Make sure there is enough in there.
Did you get an owners manual with the car? Some good details in there.
Points, plugs and timing next?
Good luck and happy Christmas
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 05:42:33 by naj »
68 280SL

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 06:39:26 »
When I took mine in the mechanic replaced brake hoses and motor mounts.  Safety first. I love Hong Kong by the way.  Last there in 95.  Curious to see it after 97.  Do some uniformed school children still ride on yellow buses and then get off at their family junk?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 09:30:11 »
Eryck,
  I second Jeff's suggestion regarding safety first. Check the brakes! If there is brake fluid outside the master cylinder it probably needs to be replaced. Another leak I found on my car was on the clutch master cylinder. If there is fluid on the outside of that it probably needs to be either replaced or rebuilt.
  I have owned my car for five years. It is my conclusion that the deterioration of rubber seals and bushings is a major component of maintenance and renovation. The rear end bushoing, motor mounts and sub frame bushings should al be looked at. They will have a major impact on how the car handles and drives. The cheapest bushings and probably on your horn ring. If your horn ring is a little loose look at that.
  Keep the questions coming.
Regards,
Ted
1969 280 SL
 The snow has melted and I have a few minutes for a quick ride but, I plan to be in Hong Kong in 2006.

Eryck

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 09:35:01 »
Thanks so much for the advice. Much appreciated and definitely helpful. If any of you are in Hong Kong, please let me know. Happy to buy you a drink!  

And Jeff - not much different after 1997 except bad economy and property market!  Not too sure about the family junks and yellow school buses. They are around I'm sure. Just haven't seen them...

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 09:33:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Eryck

I am planning to take it to a garage to have it mechanically tuned. Apart from the usual engine and gear oil changes, what other routine maintenance should I be looking to do?

If you have no papers documenting previous maintenance, you should do it all.  Here's a list off the top of my head:
- fluids (motor oil, trans, coolant, injection pump, steering, differential, brakes, ...)
- filters & filter seals
- grease the suspension & drive line grease fittings
- change engine belts
- change coolant hoses
- check the whole fuel system for rust
- test the ignition system (timing, gap, dwell, etc.)
- retighten the head bolts
- adjust the valve clearance
- check timing chain for slack
- do a compression test and leak down test
- testing the electric fuel pump's delivery rate and pressure

All the maintenance is listed in the Owner's Manual.  If you don't have one, contact your local MB dealer or contact the German or US Classic Center and order one.

Here's a link to a thread with a maintenance list.  It also has as a link to more threads on this topic.  The Search tool is great.
www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=1846
quote:
Originally posted by Eryck

Of course, I will discover something wrong that will need to be replaced but I have no experience with old cars at all .... The garage will probably tell me that a whole bunch of stuff is wrong with it but I will not know for sure.

An automotive novice will always be in a position of not knowing if the mechanic it telling the truth.  You recently said you joined a Classic Car Club (or something like that) in HK.  Get references of good trustworthy mechanics from them and hopefully that will reduce the risk of being take advantage of.  Also, if you get all the above maintenance done, and the car runs well and the brakes work well, then just get an itemized quote for all the other "problems" found by the mechanic.  You can then do two things with this quote:
- Ask us about them.  We could prioritize them or help you confirm if there are actual or preceived problems.
- Get a second quote from a different mechanic.  See if he finds the same problems (don't tell him what the other mechanic found) and see what he provides for an itimized quote for repairs.

Best of luck!  With proper maintenance, these cars will run for a long time.  Also, proper maintenance will help reveal specific problems and help diagnose them.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 10:02:05 »
Rodd,

That is a pretty comprehensive list-I will refer back to this when taking a car out of storage.

Naj, I am sure you are correct on using ATF for the manual gearbox, as I don't own a car with a manual gearbox.  Somewhere along the way I came away with the notion that the fluid reservoir for the manual box located near the brake booster (I am not confusing the brake fluid reservoir on the top of the master cylinder) should receive brake fluid.  That seemed odd to me at the time which is why I remember it.  Please confirm that this is me just hallucinating.

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 10:06:37 by Tom »
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:06:56 »
Tom, you might be confusing the Clutch fluid reservoir.  The ATF goes in the transmission itself.  The filler hole for that is at the top right of the transmission and is reached through an access panel in the floor tunnel under the carpet.  It requires, a 14mm hex drive.  (I think I remember it's 14mm)

Eryck, I recommend synthetic fluids for everything.  Some people claim that switching to synthetic oil causes leaks, but I have replaced all fluids and greases with synthetic and have had no problems at all.  The superior protection over dino oil is worth it.

Here's a wish for good luck, and many sunny days to dirve in.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Eryck

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 21:49:02 »
Thanks for all the advice. I will print this thread when I finally decide on a mechanic and bring this check list with me. Will definitely try out the synthetic oils as well.

Happy new year to all.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong