Author Topic: light switch/hazard light switch  (Read 3431 times)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
light switch/hazard light switch
« on: December 27, 2004, 11:52:59 »
As I'm into a complete restoration job I'm disassembling my dash. I have a very hard time taking out the light switch and the hazard light switch. As I don't want to force anything is there somebody who did this before? Do I just pull-off the knobs or is there a particular way of working? Also what to do with the ignition switch (key holder)I noticed it is bolted behind the dash. Kind regards, Paul.

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

George Davis

Re: light switch/hazard light switch
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 12:52:39 »
Paul,

the hazard switch knob unscrews on my car.  In fact, it unscrewed by itself and fell off!  I haven't removed the switch but would guess there is a nut under the knob.

The ignition lock has a clamp bolt on the tube that joins the lock to the steering column.  The bolt must first be removed.  After that, there is a button on the tube that must be pushed in, and then the ignition lock can be rotated and pulled out from the steering column.  The button may be a little hard to find, a good cleaning in that area helps.

I don't know about the light switch, sorry.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 14:57:01 »
The light switch has a large black rubber knob that you twist to turn on the lights.  You yank it straight back, the black part only, and will expose the bright cast metal part underneath and then you can unscrew the chrome retainer ring (there are several small holes in this ring and you can try using a pair of pliers with bent in ends that fit into this ring, or you can do like me-use a tiny jewelers screwdriver and insert the tip at an angle into one of the holes and lightly tap on the other end to spin the ring loose).
The ignition lock will require you to remove the decorative ring that surrounds(3 small aluminum tabs behind) it on the dash and the 2 nuts(13mm) that hold the strap for the steering column in place.  Drop the steering column slightly and you can remove the 10mm bolt that tightens the clamp on the ignition lock chamber and then insert the key into the lock and turn to the first position(unlocks the release mechanism) and then pull it out carefully(can remove key again after pulling it out a bit).  All will be easier if you remove the steering wheel, instruments and radio.
Hold the wiring harness part and carefully pull the plug off(if you pull too hard, the contact switch assembly will pull apart and you will loose the small balls and springs inside.
Hope this helps.
Walter

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 03:34:09 »
pablo,

The procedure is described in both the MB service manual and the Haynes manual.
Each of the books has lots of great information....certainly worth having.

There was a discussion about service books some time ago.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 07:02:42 »
Thanks for the info, I ordered the Haynes manuel a while ago and received it yesterday. A great help and answer to a lot of questions.

Paul Haems
'68 280SL