Author Topic: Soft Top Removal Necessary?  (Read 4667 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Soft Top Removal Necessary?
« on: November 24, 2017, 21:42:37 »
One of the projects I hope to complete this winter is replacing my soft top.  Who ever did it in the past did an excellent job and it still looks  great except they used what looks like a vinyl fabric.  As I said it looks great but every time I open up the soft top and see that vinyl I get a chill down my back.  The inside is cloth so I guess there are two layers.  Too bad I can't just replace the outer layer.

So I've done some reading and my question is do I need to remove the whole soft top from the car to replace the fabric?  The section in the wiki suggests I do not but some of the threads I have read appear to suggest I do.  So which is it?

Also wanted to know from anyone that has ordered a top from German Auto Tops, if they included the straps and belts?

Thanks.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Soft Top Removal Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 23:38:55 »
You can't really replace the soft top without the frame on the car. You need the frame fitted to get the top set up correctly.

The fabric is one layer. There is no internal and external layer.

When you buy the soft top it should come with the straps, wires and screws that are required to set the top up properly. But it would pay to check!!

Doing the soft top yourself isn't too difficult, but it really pays to have an extra pair of hands. 
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:35:14 »
Thanks James.  I thought maybe one removes the frame from the car, replaces the fabric and then reinstalls but good to know the frame stays on the car.

My wife has freely offered to lend a hand (or two if required).
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 04:29:21 »
You can't really replace the soft top without the frame on the car. You need the frame fitted to get the top set up correctly.

The fabric is one layer. There is no internal and external layer.
Hi James,
it depends what you mean with "one layer". The original Sonnenland fabric is a single sheet but really a triple sandwich :
http://www.haartz.com/products/sonnenland-classic

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:35:25 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 15:23:00 »
Also wanted to know from anyone that has ordered a top from German Auto Tops, if they included the straps and belts?

The elastic bands AND nylon strap webbing are seperate items. The tension wires with the loop ends are also separate.
I ordered the strap and wires with the top. The elastic banding I got from a fabric outlet.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 15:47:13 »
Quote from: Tyler S.
The elastic bands AND nylon strap webbing are seperate items. The tension wires with the loop ends are also separate.../...
Yes, separate, also true when it comes to the trapezoidal sealing rubber strips, one above each side window
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 00:56:39 by mbzse »
/Hans S

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 21:34:27 »
There is a bit more to consider when selecting the webbing, straps and wires. They are indeed separate items but SLS recently came up with a nice combo of tension straps and elastic bands:
https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/77-78-softtop-hardtop/77-a-softtop-frame-and-equipment/set-strap-bands-beige-p-6550

The attached photo shows three features that one needs to accomplish when buying individual items. The elastic strap that is supplied by many vendors is a rather flimsy strap more suitable for underwear than automotive. Also one needs to glue a thin foam or felt layer on a portion of the tension straps to prevent flutter noise. This combo piece should make installation easier. I have bought a set shown in the photo but have not installed it yet.

Finally. many vendors sell the tension wires with a simple loop at the end. OEM have a soldered eyelet at one end and the wires are treated to prevent rusting. The one shown was bought from GAT - I hope they haven't changed suppliers.
Alfred

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 22:37:32 »
Quote from: 66andBlue
.../...the tension straps and elastic bands.../...
If you ponder over the purpose of these elastic bands; find some info in this old posting:
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18284.msg158468#msg158468

See also reply #1600 and #1601 in that thread
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 23:01:00 by mbzse »
/Hans S

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 23:56:33 »
Hans,
this was indeed an interesting discussion concerning these elastic bands: Should they be crewed to the floating bow and all the fixed cross bows?? Do you start from the front to back or the other way??

Anyway it appears to me that having the elastic already sewn onto the beige tension straps/webbing should eliminate some head scratching. Of course, the tension straps need to be screwed onto the bows. I'll report back when I install my new folding top in the 280SL in a few months.

Alfred

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 03:07:40 »
I just saw a YouTube video of a guy doing a soft top on a R107. Very similar to W113. He likes to use Gorilla tape over the screws to prevent abrasion of the screw head on the top.

If you can, post some photos as you progress on the project.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic