Author Topic: Authorized MB Dealer in HK - No Good!  (Read 3686 times)

Eryck

Authorized MB Dealer in HK - No Good!
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:34:35 »
I have already requested a datacard from MB Germany (per the kind advices on this site) but have not heard from them so today I decided to try my luck and just check out the dealer here in HK.

Most of the staff had no idea what I was talking about. Finally met with the manager and he wants to charge me US$256 for it!  He said that it's for their internal processing cost!  He also told me that a data card for such an old car may not be available. Also that some information may not be revealed to me as some are for their internal use! What baloney, right?

Per some of your suggestions, I went for an oil change and the car is now running on full synthetic Shell oil. The garage did not have an oil filter. I also asked MB for one while I was there today.  They told me that it will cost US$36 each and will take about a month to be ordered from Germany. I know that they are not that rare and definitely not that expensive (from Ebay) and I will try check out other sources here locally. Otherwise, I'll just order them from the US.

Just thought I'd share this experience with you guys.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Eryck

Re: Authorized MB Dealer in HK - No Good!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 09:35:49 »
By the way, my conclusion is that the MB dealer here only cares about selling new cars and their servicing center is really just there for warranty services. People like me get no attention from them at all!

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:01:32 »
Hey Eryck.

Well, sounds like you hit one of the less 113-savvy dealers. I've done that too.

An oil filter here in US should run you about 4-8 US bucks. Now, one kernal of truth was their mention of some items on data card blocked. For good reason, they sometimes blot out the numbers for the keys... in case you are not the true owner. I believe the Classic Center needs proof of ownership or they will too. Good luck.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:49:05 »
Eryck:
Find the owner of the dealership and tell him that, if he provides good service for your car, you will give him a luggage rack for his hearse so that he can take all the money with him, when he dies.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 15:56:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by Eryck

By the way, my conclusion is that the MB dealer here only cares about selling new cars and their servicing center is really just there for warranty services. People like me get no attention from them at all!

This is a common feeling most W113 (and other classic MB) owners have regarding MB dealers.  There are some that do care for and about older cars, but not many.

I think the numbers for the car keys are the only thing hidden (blacked out) on the data cards.  You will not get an original card, just a photo copy printed from micro-fiche(?), so they will not always look good.  I have never heard about someone not able to get a copy of their card.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 18:10:25 »
Sounds like if own the car you can send Mercedes-Benz an E-mail on their site and request a copy of a classic certifictfor a mere $100.00USD for your car. this will provide you the chassic, vin and motor numbers as well as the options and key codes and manufacture and date of production and color with upholstery type. This is really nice for car shows and to present to your insurance company as a binder of authenity about your cars true linage value.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 18:13:21 by Bob G »

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 05:35:33 »
Eryck,
The oil filters are only $10.00 in Australia.
It is a typical MB rip-off. They charge what they think they can get away with and mostly they do.
I hope your are not going to use them for servicing your car.

The classic centre do not charge anything for the copy of the data card.
You can buy an offical MB certficate of ownership. It has all the same data but is a fancy printout that you could have framed.
It looks good but....is it worth the money?

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best