Author Topic: Starter and steering box rebuild?  (Read 3114 times)

Jazn

Starter and steering box rebuild?
« on: January 04, 2005, 11:41:02 »
Anyone know of a reputable shop that rebuilds starters and steering boxes?
Thanks

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Starter and steering box rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:33:00 »
Jazn,

For the starter, consider just exchanging it with a Bosch factory rebuilt, which you can get at nearly any foreign auto parts store, or from the dozens of parts vendors that supply the MB trade.  If you want to save a few bucks, you can have it rebuilt at any auto electric shop.  Just be careful and ask them to use Bosch parts.  Unless you are way in the boondocks and away from any major metropolitan area you needn't venture to far for this task.  I had mine rebuilt once with a 3rd party solenoid.  It worked well on the bench and in testing, but installed in the car it wouldn't disengage!  It was tested repeatedly like this before we had the off-brand solenoid replaced with a proper Bosch.  What I saved in the original rebuild was eaten up with the second solenoid.  I should have just exchanged it.

Can't help you with the steering box, but I suspect that too would be an exchange part.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 14:14:22 »
Hey Jazn,

If you have taken the front end off i suppose you can handle the steering box.  I rebuilt mine about 2 years ago.  I've talked with some who have attempted to replace a top seal without removing the box.  Don't know how it turned out.  Where is yours leaking?  As I recall the seal kit was $40.00.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Jazn

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 18:37:05 »
It isn't leaking anywhere I can see.  Is it filled with a fluid?  This is the steering gear box, the one connected to the steering arm.  I need to replace the three/six bushings on the coupling for it and figured what the hey, might as well take it out, clean it up and have it rebuilt.  Same with the starter, nothing was ever wrong with it, but while I am at it, I might as well.... :D   I will definitely check local for the starter as it will probably be cheaper and more convenient.  I can replace the solenoid myself, it's all the brushes and crap of the actual starter that I don't want to mess with.  
Thanks for the replies.
PS Taking apart a front end is one thing....putting it back together, well might be something for someone else to do!  Just kidding.