Author Topic: Jump Seat upright removal  (Read 2524 times)

DMK

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Titchfield
Jump Seat upright removal
« on: February 06, 2018, 00:15:28 »
I wish to remove the upright back rest of the jump seat and would be very grateful if anyone can advise. It is fastened to the body towards the top of the upright but I can’t locate a mechanism to free it from position. I have the hard top on the car and so can’t venture into the hood gallery.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Jump Seat upright removal
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:48 »

Nope.
Doesn't work like this. :)
You have first to lift off the hard top, then you'll have access to the softtop compartment, which you need to get into.
The backrest is fixed with a thumb screw - very similar to the ones for the tail light bulbholders.
If you removed the thumb screw, press the M6 stud throught the inner wall of the softtop compartment, then you should be able to take the jump seat's back rest out.
The softtop does not need to be removed or put up for this.

Achim

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 17:16:16 »
Achim is right, although, if I remember right,it is easier if you first lift up on the seat cushion at its front edge and remove it.  It has a spring bracket that is snapped over a rod welded to the floor "beam" between the seat cushion and the foot well behind the third seat foot well.  Otherwise, the seat cushion restricts the movement of the lower part of the seat back and keeps the stud from being pulled straight out of the hole in the wall of the rear compartment.  A small point, but important and leads to frustration if you don't really know how the Kinder Seat assembles in the car.
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

DMK

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Titchfield
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 19:12:55 »
Achim and Tom, thank you both so much for you advice. Hard top off this w/e, shame it’s still winter !

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 19:52:22 »
Like Achim and Tom say, but be careful of the carpet loops caught on the long stud through the wall.
The stud will snag the carpet loop and pull it out from the stitching in the carpet. Don't ask me how I know.
Patience is key here and a sharp knife.

Brgrds,
Walter