Author Topic: Kingpin problem  (Read 2533 times)

Stebuga

Kingpin problem
« on: April 07, 2018, 07:59:57 »
Hello to all.
I am actually involved in the kingpin problem: I have done all and I have only to assemble kingpin with spindle....BUT...with the three spacers I have in the kit, I cannot tighten the nut at the required torque (between 70-90) without having the kingpin stuck in the steering knuckle. Consider that with the thinnest washer (1,9 mm) the vertical play disappear at 35 Newton mt and the kingpin start to be constrained at 40. Any hint? Maybe something is wrong? Have I to try with a thinnest spacer? I have seen Niemoeller has a 1,7mm but I am not so sure this could be enough.
Stefano

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Kingpin problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:17:42 »
Hi,
I could imagine that a new kingpin varies a little bit and you need some attempts to find the right shim dimensions. I don't think that a new one from Niemoeller or elswhere will help you but a lot of grinding. I would lap a shim as good it could be (e.g. on a glas surface), measure it and let do a machine shop the exact work. Sorry, only 2 cents!
...WRe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 14:45:02 »
Yes, seems to be a common problem.  First make sure the top slotted thrust washer is seated around the small pin and not on top of it. If you problem still persists, a little grinding as suggested will work nicely. Lap with grades of sandpaper/emery cloth glued on a flat glass plate or such. Use water or oil as cutting fluid. Otherwise take them to a machine shop for a faster and more precise solution.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Stebuga

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 21:31:45 »
Thank you very much for your precious hints. In the meanwhile, I have done a couple of attempts with copper washers and with one 1,45 mm thick I have achieved a good result, so I have thought to have the spacers machined to this value. Even if manual grinding tempts me a little, now that you told me :)