Author Topic: Remember the discussion about the screws for the hood latch being painted?  (Read 2782 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Adding to that discussion I found this.  It would appear the latch is on the body with 2 screws when the shell is painted. My car has the radio suppression option so the screws would have been removed, the little brass thingy would be installed then new plated screws would be installed.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Not arguing, just curious: which screws would they undo to fit the BST? Not those close to firewall?
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
I would guess the put it on the car with two screws, painted the chassis, removed the screws then put the BST in and put 4 new screws. If there was any chipping of the paint the screws were brush painted.  There is so much variation there that I would guess anything would be correct except a radio supression (BST) car with spray painted screws.

I used to be a BMW trainer and you threw me for a second with BST.  In BMW speak a BST is a battery safety terminal which is an exploding battery terminal the breaks the battery circuit in case of an accident or major electrical short to prevent a fire.  It took me a second to remember the Brass Springy Thing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 17:55:55 by Shvegel »

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Shvegel,

I had my latch apart a couple of months ago.  Mine was the same as yours and came to the same conclusion 👍
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed