Author Topic: Greetings to all  (Read 3084 times)

n/a

Greetings to all
« on: January 19, 2005, 21:26:56 »
What a great surprise to find this group. My name is Steven Murphy and I live in Los Angeles, California. Although I've owned many vintage cars over the years, (mostly 50's & 60's T-birds & Lincolns) I just recently purchased my first Mercedes Benz, a 1970 280 SL. It was the culmination of a 34 year persuit.

I had wanted the car since my first ride in one as a high school kid, in 1970. It belonged to a friend's parents and I thought it was the coolest and most elegant car ever. There were a zillion of them sold from Stahl Motors, in Monterey, California, where I grew up. In fact, they were so prolific that they were affectionately referred to as "Carmel Fords."  This was because all the upscale matrons and their husbands in Carmel (a nearby town) had them.  I could only watch them drive by and wait...

Fast forward 34 years and a lot of other cars to my 50th birthday. What better gift to give myself for reaching half a century! Through a series of fortuitous events, I was led to the car that would ultimately be mine, a beautiful Tobacco Brown model, with Cognac leather. The previous owner had spent thousands on the car and then suddenly grew tired of it! Easy come, easy go I guess. Anyway, he did a complete cosmetic restoration to spec. and rebuilt all mechanicals just short of a total engine overhaul. She has 118,000 miles and runs beautifully with no blue smoke. (well, maybe a bit upon starting, she is 34 after all) Her options include Automatic transmission and original dealer installed air conditioning. She was sold new in San Francisco and has lived her entire life in California. She's even still wearing her original blue and gold license plates. Our only problem has been some overheating. Not unusual as I gather from the postings here, but none the less unacceptable in sunny Los Angeles, it was 82 degrees today.

So, it seems we are still in the "Getting-to-know-you" phase and it will take a few more months to get all the bugs properly worked out. In the meantime, we are having a great time together and I am taken right back to my school days, in 1970. Which is why we have these cars anyway, for that "Time-trip." I expect I will learn a great deal from all of the collective knowledge here.  many thanks and happy motoring to all.

Steven

hauser

Re: Greetings to all
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 21:33:34 »
Happy Birthday!  Congrats on the car!  I couldn't think of a better birthday present myself. :D

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:33:26 »
Happy Day!  I now find myself planning for the next birthday/Xmas around my Pagoda; I want this or that for her, not for me.  Well, sorta.  

Old memories of Laguna Seca back when.  Carmel before it was wrecked... Too bad your car isn't old enough for the really old black-and-gold plates!

This forum is the friendliest and most helpful ever.  Paying $30 is too little...Cees should raise the dues.  What about creating different levels of sponsorship, like National Public Radio and PBS do?

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 15:31:16 »
Thanks for the plug Trice. One of our goals is to make membership as accessible as possible: after all, the whole purpose is to connect Pagoda enthusiasts everywhere and offer an exhaustive information and support platform for all those questions and quandries that come with the territory. Organize 'live'events from time to time.
In order to pay for the bills (mostly for the website, also due to the fact that it is advertisement-free) and to add to the fun, we put together Pagoda World and some other benefits that come with the full membership. But also there the goal is to keep things as low-cost as possible. I expect we should be able to make ends meet with the $/EUR 30 per year for some time to come.

P.s. I just checked today's activity and am happy to report three more full members signed on today ...

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 15:52:08 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 16:25:48 »
You have one of my favorite color combos. I also live and work in West Los Angeles, Would like some day to see your car.

Bob Geco
310-839-8337 office

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 14:15:48 »
Sounds like a nice car.  I, too was treated to my 230SL as a 50th birthday present.  What a way to keep feeling young!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)