Author Topic: Preventing rust  (Read 1982 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Preventing rust
« on: October 06, 2018, 16:06:59 »
My car has been at the mechanic this week and when on the lift, I noticed what looks like in the very beginning of rust.  (deep in wheel wells)   It is very, very, very light but in an effort to be proactive, I wanted to check in with the Pagoda Family and see if there is something I should do. Do I spray with a some sort of retardant?
Please let me know your thoughts

Regards
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Preventing rust
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 17:13:41 »
Quote from: StevenF
.../...I noticed what looks like in the very beginning of rust..../...
Unfortunately, the most common corrosion problems on our Pagoda cars come from the "inside and out". The protection within sills and other box structures from factory was none, or later on, only rudimentary.
So, if you notice corrosion, scrape it to see if there are pinholes, i.e. if metal is rusted right through...

If you find surface rust only; remove it (all) and put on base and top coat paint. Finish with protective transparent body wax in wheel wells and underneath car
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 17:20:24 by mbzse »
/Hans S

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 14:36:13 »
If you want to do something simple to help reduce (not totally prevent!) rust, you can spray "engine fogging oil" into areas where moisture likes to sit and work. Between body panels and in hollow space behind covers. I do that usually every fall before I store the cars for winter.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

winston the browndog

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 21:10:16 »
The best way to rid the area of rust is to remove it . There are lots of converters and oils and over ups , but what you have to do is think of rust as cancer in the human body . Do you want to put oil on it or convert it ? I do not think so .
 What I would suggest is to clean the area of any undercoating , till you see no rust .  This can be done with a scraper with or without heat gun used it very sparingly . Wash down area with lacquer thinner and Scotchbrite till clean. Spot blasting would be a good idea , but not necessary . Then etch the area with muriatic acid (available at pool supply stores , masonry supply , hardware stores ). that will take you down to clean bare metal . Then you can wash down area  with a metal prep wash to neutralize the acid and it puts a temporary rust preventer on that will hold for a few days . Then go back with epoxy primer , and then some kind of top coat paint . I do not suggest going over it with spray can
primer , as that paint is very porous and will let water through .You would be better off with a spray can top coat . You can get any kind of paint in a spray can these days . Just find a auto body paint dealer ( look on line for you area ), that are always more then happy to answer questions and help people out who are learning. Then undercoat  that area  with spray cat undercoat .

Or you can do as most people do and throw some rust converter on it and spray undercoating on it . your call