Author Topic: Windshield Installation  (Read 6995 times)

TA250SL

Windshield Installation
« on: May 03, 2003, 00:32:06 »
Hi Group.

I am looking for any windshield installation tips that might make this project easier.  I am using a new MBZ seal, but am not sure if sealant is required between the glass and the rubber.  Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Windshield Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 06:14:40 »
A new seal makes installation more difficult, since it is not yet formed to the shape of the windshield. The professional installer that put mine in (for about $50, can't really beat that for such a specific job) did use either a sealant or some kind of grease, to help get the windshield in place. I bought a new MBZ seal like you, and the parts supplier (Van Dijk) told me beforehand that it would be too big, and it was. The installer had to cut out a couple of inches(!). He used a wire pulling cord to install the window.
I had gotten used to looking through a rather scratched window surface - now of course it is crystal clear. Then I polished the plastic window in the softtop, and I replaced my rearview mirror, which had gotten cloudy.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 06:55:28 »
Hello Tom,
If you are replacing the seal, removal of the old windshield must be done carefully to prevent breakage. First remove the interior trim from around the windshield. Removal of the wood is not necessary but it makes the job a easier, however wood removal is a project in itself. Remove the lower chrome trim on the exterior cowl only. Do NOT remove the chrome trim, inserted in the rubber, around the windshield. If you have a new replacement windshield seal, use a sharp utility knife and plenty of soapy water to cut the old rubber windshield seal allowing the windshield with remaining old seal to be removed easily. Trying to save the old hard and stiff seal will cause more difficulty during removal and may result in breaking your original windshield. After the glass and seal is out carefully remove the metal chrome trim in the rubber seal. Be extremely carefull not to bend or distort this trim. It is aluminum and very easily bent. Clean the old windshield and the opening. From what I have observed, no sealing compound is used by the factory. The new rubber seal should be soft and pliable and should seal without compound. Clean the windshield opening and windshield glass. Install the new seal on the windshield glass. Use plenty of soapy water and install the chrome trim into the new rubber seal. I use a length of plastic clothes line (rope approx 3/16 " diam. )and install it in groove of the rubber where the windshield locks onto the metal windshield opening. This rope should begin and terminate in the middle , bottom of the new windshield rubber seal . Overlap two ends and leave at least a foot at each end extra to pull. Here again plenty of soapy water will help. Get some help at this point. An extra set of hands makes the job easier. Set the windshield assembly in place with the rope ends inside the car. Be sure that you have not forgotten to install the chrome trim in the rubber seal. Next center up everything in the windsheld opening. One person, should begin pulling the rope ends while the other person applies some downward and inward pressure. The lower edge rope should  should be pulled slowly then begin working up the sides. As you progress the person on the exterior should carefully press inwards. Do not expect it to fall completely into place immediately. As you progress the windshield seal will begin pulling itself into the opening. The person inside should make sure that the rubber seal seats over the metal opening as the rope is pulled inward. Keeping the windshield centered from side to side is a bit challenging. Adjustments during installation must be done carefully. A little too much stress can crack your new glass! After installation and clean-up install the lower exterior cowl chrome trim and interior trim.
Alternative: Most professional glass installation is inexpensive and they will come to the car. They will replace the windshield free of charge if they break it. They will also guarantee against leaks if a new rubber gasket is used!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 08:10:22 »
Tom,
I recommend using a shop that has experience in replacing windshields in older model cars. The shop I used in Houston has 2 people that work primarily on old style windshields. For installation they used 3 people. After removal, the glass and windshield frame were carefully cleaned. This is the time that you can inspect for and fix any rust.
They then very carefully made adjustment to the aluminum insert. This piece should completely conform to the shape of the glass.
They did not us any sealant, and indicated that it is not necessary with a good quality rubber seal.
I had removed the wood before relacing the seal. Looking at the installation process as Joe described, and seeing how closely the wood fits over the seal, it appears the probability of damaging the wood is quite high if it is in place. This is a risk you need to assess for yourself.
I bought a non-MB seal off e-Bay and it worked fine. I believe I was very lucky in this regard.
I paid $75 for the installation and it was the best value for anything I have ever done to my SL.

Regards,
Stan