Author Topic: Softtop lining  (Read 3522 times)

Ricardo

Softtop lining
« on: May 05, 2003, 12:43:30 »
Does anybody know if it is possible to add a lining to an aftermarket canvas top before installation ? I bought one from a guy who had bought it to install and then changed his car color. I didn't notice right away that it wasn't lined like the current one on my car. I suppose this one will be waterproof but perhaps a little noisy. On the other hand maybe it will work better than my current top which bulges and scuffs at the hinges.
I also wonder if anyone with an earlier style top with wooden backbow finds it difficult to raise the top. My chrome strip on the outside of the back bow was removed by the previous owner, because he thought it wasn't supposed to be there, and he lost it.This means the top is not fastened to the back bow. I find it handy as I let the back bow hang loose until the top is fastened and then push the bow back in place and this tensions the top really well. Still I like the look of the chrome strip and was thinking I might search for one. Opinion sought  ;)

Richard V
Quebec
'67 250 SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Softtop lining
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 13:33:57 »
Adding a liner seems like a pretty difficult job to me (making it fit, glueing it on and all that - would maybe also interfere with the proper fit). I would not expect the additional lining to do much in the way of sound insulation (the lining on mine and all the ones I ever looked at is very thin). Common opinion on the sofftop is that it not the best engineerd part of the car, is very hard to get right, and, as a result, relatively many people complain about the mechanism's operation.
The chrome strip is probably still available through the usual suspects ;-)
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II