Author Topic: Another Ignition???  (Read 3236 times)

n/a

Another Ignition???
« on: February 11, 2005, 01:46:01 »
Well I've finally started building a proper garage, although the process has been interrupted for a few days due to 60 degrees one day then snow 2 days later, typical Appalachian weather.

Of course the first car to enter that garage will be my 70 280SEL resto project. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can get a good digital cam or maybe the old school scan a photo, but for now I'm trying to get several things decided.

Like every restoration,the 280 will not be a Trailer Queen, so a factory resto to the "T" won't be necessary. I want a clean rust free resto that will be available at a moment's notice for travel and weekend cruises, and of course,  "Herman" (as he's been named) won't be driven daily. He will be restored to a drivable, shiny green Merc.

Since you've all been informed of my plans, I now would like to ask the infamous question (which I know has been asked and discussed 100's of times.) What ignition setup would you recommend? He's been sitting for years but everything is intact.

I bought him at an advantage even though there is some rust here and there. Being very familiar with judging rust (I've owned several Beetles and am currently the owner of a 63.) I'm not worried about rust repair. I know several reputable body shops. I purchased him from the second owner who had acquired the car in the mid 80's after it had been sitting during a lien dispute with the original owner's bank. The title was finally cleared in 1993 believe it or not.

It only had 53,000 documented miles on it when it was parked. It spent half of the last twenty years in a garage and the other half in and around the second owner's property. Then he lost interest in it and I purchased it.

I have all the books and documents and it's in my name now. Other than the typical rocker rust (which actually isn't that bad) there's some problem areas here and there but thankfully, no suspension area rust.

Well, kinda got off the subject there. Just thought I'd answer all the typical questions before they were asked. Anyway, I want to know that for sheer ease of maintenance, what's the best way to eliminate the transistorized ignition?

I may well keep it, but if the option does come up, I would rather have ease of maintenance over originality. So every opinion is encouraged. I would also like to compliment this site and its members. This is, after searching for months, the best Pagoda site in existence. Even though I can't share in your pure SL hobby, I do love almost every Merc from this era.

And by far, the W108 and W109's are my favorite German sedans. So any help is welcome and I will share all my experiences in this new found branch of vintage German cars with you all.

Being only 22, I do share a deep appreciation of these cars,  so rest assured the hobby will continue to the next generation. Although most of my generation would rather buy an Impreza or an Evo, I'd rather be blowing down a country road in a 300SEL 6.3, by far my favorite Merc.
RJ

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Another Ignition???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 06:15:37 »
Hello RJ and welcome,
You will find some personal experience form the others on these replacement electronic ignitions on this site. There seems to be a wide variety of opinion.

Yes your W108 sedans are a close relative to the W113. The suspensions, mechanicals, and some trim and other chasis parts are the same in many cases.

Which model is it that you do have?
I have a W108 and 109 myself. 300SEL 6.3 and 300SE (short wheelbase no air suspension, floor shift stick}.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 14:29:18 »
RJ,

I think you will find people who like points, some people who like MB electronic ignition, some people who like after-market ignition (by Crane or Pertronix).  Each type of person will give a good reason why they think their opinion is best.  You'll have to read all about these options and make up your own mind.  Personally, I like to have these cars original.

You probably should provide your MB engine number, BOSCH distributor part number, and BOSCH coil part number.  With this info, people can tell you if you have correct original parts and they can tell you what they think about the existing setup and what your upgrade options are.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 18:02:47 »
Well, I guess I'll have to get all the info together on my ignition and post it when I get some clear weather. I have heard that the traditional points condensor system tended to foul plugs on the injection engines and that's why they switched to the transistorized on later models.

Of course the electronic would solve that problem as well, but we'll see when the time comes I suppose.

I have a 1970 280SEL Joe and am looking forward to getting deep and dirty in the inner workings of the W108. So as soon as I can I'll get some info off the car, talk to you all soon.

RJ

n/a

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 23:43:15 »
I have the following numbers on my distributor:

JFUR6  02310 00022

I have a transisterized system. My car will stall when put into gear. It also idles with occasional rpm drop-off. The points and plugs were replaced about 2 years/2000 miles ago. It still have (I think) the original coil.  I would like to know what options are available.  I heard bad things about the transisterized unit and would like to replace it to avoid further headaches.

Thanks,
Louis 70 280sl Red