Author Topic: Longer-term storage  (Read 7573 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Longer-term storage
« on: May 06, 2003, 12:52:08 »
Here's a message from a brand-new member of the group - please respond if you can answer this basic question:

"I am an Ambassador who has just bought a 1970 White 280SL.I have had a long experience with Mercs since 1955 Pontons etc. Being not good myself to work on the mechanical aspect of the car, I hope I don't regret it.My wife was dead against it but I had my way. In a couple of years I will retire from government. It is then that I hope to enjoy my Pagoda-only if it is not too troublesome and expensive to maintain. Otherwise,there will be constant bickering at home which I dread.The car is virtually rust-free and has 140,000 miles.It was my dream car and finally I got it.
My other hobbies are music and reading particularly, international relations.
Since I'd be returning home in two years time I'd like to know how should I store my car in the garage. Should it be jacked up, battery disconnected, and covered with the shroud etc.,I need your advice. Regards
Bob Malik (user name "pembash" on the site)
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

George Davis

Re: Longer-term storage
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 18:17:21 »
Here’s what I’d suggest for long-term storage of a Pagoda.  It’s a lot of work, actually, and some it may be overkill.  I’m assuming the engine will not be started while the car is in storage.

-Just before beginning storage, have the chassis greased, the oil changed, the brake and clutch fluid flushed out and replaced with new, and the cooling system flushed and fresh coolant installed.
-Have the fuel lines at the rear of the car inspected and replaced if they are questionable.
-Wash and wax the car.
-The car should be stored with one of the tops on and windows rolled up.  Soft top up might be best.  Close the fresh air vent to keep critters out.  Some people like to keep an open container of moth balls in the car, it repells rodents and other pests.
-Just before storage, add enough 2-cycle motor oil to the fuel to get a 50:1 mix and completely fill the tank.  Then go for a 30 minute drive and then park the car in the storage spot.  The 2-cycle motor oil is to lubricate and help preserve the injection pump seals.  The drive is to get the engine hot and boil out any moisture in the oil.  Don’t start it again after parking it.
-Add a fuel stabilizer to the fuel after it has been parked.  The fuel may not be good after 2 years, but the tank should be full during storage to prevent rusting.  This is why you want good fuel lines, too.  If one should leak, the tank will drain itself.
-Remove the battery and store it; it will probably have to be replaced when the car comes out of storage.  You can try to keep it charged up, but it may be more bother than it’s worth.
-When the engine and exhaust are cool, plug the exhaust pipes.  I’d first wrap the pipes with plastic, then wrap aluminum foil over the plastic.  Don’t let the aluminum foil touch the pipes, contact between dissimilar metals might cause some corrosion.
-Remove the short flexible pipe from the air filter to the intake manifold and plug the air intake, similar to exhaust pipes.  Also plug the air filter outlet.  Put the flexible pipe in a plastic bag and put it in the trunk.
-Remove each spark plug and squirt some motor oil into each cylinder.  Coat the spark plug threads with an anti-sieze compound and reinstall, and reconnect the wires.
-In my opinion, the car should be stored with the suspension loaded.  Either leave it on the ground and check the tire inflation periodically, or put it on jack stands in such a way that the springs are compressed.  I would not let the rear axle droop, at the very least.  If the car is left sitting on the tires, they may develop flat spots, but you may want to install new tires when it comes out of storage anyway.
-The hand brake should be left off.  If the car is sitting on the tires, use blocks to keep it from moving.
-A car cover will help keep the car clean.  A soft, breathable fabric is probably best.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 20:54:52 »
Very nice summary George! I can't think of anything to add. Hopefully the storage is nice and dry.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

pembash

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 23:44:46 »
Thanks George.Grateul for your advice.I'm not too sure if I'll be able to carry out all the precautionary measures. But I agree jacking up the car, apart from being tedious is not a good idea.
Bob Malik

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 05:20:03 »
george & bob,

what is the thinking behind not jacking up the car & leaving the springs compressed?

thanks for your insight.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

George Davis

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 09:43:25 »
Thanks, Joe, always nice to be confirmed by an expert!

Bob, I can understand not being able to do all of that.  At the very least, you should do these:
chassis greasing, oil change, new brake fluid and coolant and fuel lines; adding the 2-cycle oil, full fuel tank and the 30-minute drive.

Most of this is to prevent internal corrosion and injection pump problems.  You can take a little time to do the rest, they don't all have to be done immediately.

Douglas, my reasoning on the suspension is that rubber parts tend to take a 'set', and after that they don't like to be put in another position.  The rear axle has rubber bushings and the rubber bellows seal which are used to being in a certain position.  I think it's best to keep them that way, which means not allowing the rear axle to droop.  I also think springs are pretty tough and being compressed won't hurt them.  Even if I were concerned about them, I'd rather have them compressed and keep the rear axle straight.  Please bear in mind that this is just my opinion, other guys may know better.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

pembash

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 12:48:28 »
Thanks George and Douglas for further discussion on the subject. It has helped me immensely. I plan to take the delivery of the car next week. I am told the soft top has a small hole in the rear due to bin-storage. It is the original Mercedes canvas. Any suggestions how to repair this without it being too obvious! Also which is a reasonably good music system for the 280SL without having to meddle with it's basic dimensions. The one installed in it is not original and not working. Shall appreciate any recommendations for it's replacement. It can be used but not very expensive! Who to contact?
Cheers.
Bob Malik.

pembash

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 18:34:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by pembash

Thanks George and Douglas for further discussion on the subject. It has helped me immensely. I plan to take the delivery of the car next week. I am told the soft top has a small hole in the rear due to bin-storage. It is the original Mercedes canvas. Any suggestions how to repair this without it being too obvious! Also which is a reasonably good music system for the 280SL without having to meddle with it's basic dimensions. The one installed in it is not original and not working. Shall appreciate any recommendations for it's replacement. It can be used but not very expensive! Who to contact?
Cheers.
Bob Malik.

pembash

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 19:12:04 »
Hello friends,
Finally, I got my dream car 1970 White/blue int.280Sl. I drove 2000 miles from El Paso to Washington D.C. The only problem I faced was the alternator giving way which forced a two-day delay for getting the part. The alternator,battery and the regulator had to be changed.Contrary to my opinion that a 55amp alternator should be installed instead of the 35amp with which the car was originally installed, the mechanic held that the replacement should be exactly the same as the car came with. My logic was that since the frigiking A/C was a after-market dealer installed the M-B people had therefore not catered for an A/C and therefore had installed a smaller alternator. The previos owner had this car for 13 years and had never used the A/C. Presently, it is without gas. Any ideas about changing the compressor to a rotary one such as Japanese SANDEN. They are efficient and put relatively less load on the engine (33 years old!)
I am also looking forward to used blue leather seats as mine are covered with simple vinyl and then again covered with sheep skin! Anyone willing to help in locating the seats. Another advice required is if the normal Pagoda seats are deep. In sedans M-B has rather firm and hard seats. As I have never sat in another Pagoda, I am not too sure if the padding under the seat covering also requires changing!
In due course of time, I plan to change to Euro lights which apart from making the car look great are a great help for driving as they are equipped with fog/flat beams. Night driving is not easy for someone whose eyes are not too good. All these wishes to change of course are suject to financial consraints!
Sorry for such a lengthy message.
In two months time I am likely to be on an assignment to Canberra, Australia but withiut myPagoda which will sit in Maryland awaiting my return.
Cheers and best wishes

pkiefert

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 14:54:50 »
An alternative to storage is that there are several of us members in the DC area who would be happy to "exercise" the car for you while you are gone.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 15:54:59 »
Bob,

congratulations on your "new" car... Buy your wife a Hermes headscarf, and show her period pictures of fashionable couples driving the SL and you'll be all set.

quote:
Also which is a reasonably good music system for the 280SL without having to meddle with it's basic dimensions. The one installed in it is not original and not working. Shall appreciate any recommendations for it's replacement. It can be used but not very expensive! Who to contact?

I would recommend getting a radio which is original with the car. In Europe there are many people selling refurbished Becker Europa 2 radios, an AM/FM stereo radio that originally came with the car. Check out this seller: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/walters-store/beceur2ster1.html who has them for $525. Not as cheap as one from Walmart... but it will fit and is original, and the sound is fine.

quote:
Contrary to my opinion that a 55amp alternator should be installed instead of the 35amp with which the car was originally installed, the mechanic held that the replacement should be exactly the same as the car came with. My logic was that since the frigiking A/C was a after-market dealer installed the M-B people had therefore not catered for an A/C and therefore had installed a smaller alternator. The previos owner had this car for 13 years and had never used the A/C.

It all depends on your use of the car. If we assume starting your car uses 18AH then with a 35AH alternator, and driving with little load (no AC, no lights) it would take around 30 minutes to fully recharge your battery (at a reasonable speed, i.e. no stop/start traffic only). If your AC takes 10A (which is high) it would take 45 mins to recharge. If you drive very short distances, I would get a higher rated battery (70AH) or switch off the AC (just take the top down). I have a 55AH battery (I used to have a 70AH battery), and I had some severe electrical problems recently which caused me to look into all of this. I found a short-circuit and now my car is very reliable, starts easily with just a 55AH bettery (as per original) and a stock alternator.

Good luck

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!