Author Topic: Soft Top Broken Large Spring Mounting Lever - Redux  (Read 1963 times)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Soft Top Broken Large Spring Mounting Lever - Redux
« on: October 28, 2019, 16:35:42 »
Forgive me, all.
I am a new member with a recently acquired '71 280SL, and I am experiencing issues that you have all been through before. Unfortunately, the previous discussions on many subjects have "expired" (many from at least 10 years ago!) so I am attempting to re-ignite a discussion that seemed to die out before.

It appears that my first rite of passage as a Pagoda owner is discovering that I have a broken soft top spring connection lever on the passenger side of my car (it's LHD). Here is a previous thread by Eric (tel76) that evaporated. My intention is not to call anyone out here, just to re-start a discussion.

"My lever is broken off where it was originally welded to the main assembly,a new lever will be made so that it can be re welded into the same location.
It would be possible to make a complete assy: but if you can weld in a new lever in the correct location this would be a better solution.
Hello Jeff,
The jig i am having made will fit onto the good side using the large hole in the main assembly and a secondary fixing point using the peg in the same area,it will then transpose to the faulty side so enabling a new lever to be welded in the correct position.
If you bear with me, i will send you a photograph when we have made it."

Does anyone have photos of the final piece that was fabricated and/or a template to make the piece that needs to be welded to replace the broken attachment piece for the springs?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Gary
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Soft Top Broken Large Spring Mounting Lever - Redux
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 17:27:55 »
I was missing my left side lever also.  I had my lever made and rewelded to the frame.  I created a template for it and posted here on the forum.  I will have to look for it again.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 15:55:00 »
Hi Gents,
I have also found one of these levers broken off and missing off the LH side of my soft top frame.
Any assistance will be much appreciated.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 16:45:48 »
I had one made and welded back on from a local welder. 

Attached is a picture of the new part.  Look closely,  it's  actually an "L" bracket.  You can see your right side bracket to get a better understanding. It will be a mirror image.

I also attached a xerox copy of the new lever.  You might be able to print out it "actual size" and get measurements off of it.  Remember,  it's an "L" bracket.

The other template on the right was used for checking for a bent frame.  My left side was bent also.
Signal Red
4 Speed

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 16:56:40 »
Thanks, much appreciated.
I have owned 4 Pagodas over the last 40 odd years and the first one of these brackets I have seen broken off. Both large springs laying loose in the compartment.
Just having done a search, realised that this failure seems to be quite common.
Thanks for the images of the ‘L’ bracket.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 17:43:41 »
Thank you!
Did you straighten the bent frame yourself with a home-made jig, or did you take it somewhere to have it straightened? I have the same problem.
Thanks again.
Gary
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 18:04:44 »
The welder that made the lever straighten the frame.i made the template in the pic from my good right side and verified with 2 other known good soft top frames.

The welder knew nothing about these soft top frames and would not tell his secret for bending it straight 🤣
Signal Red
4 Speed