Author Topic: Electric Pagoda  (Read 4106 times)

n/a

Electric Pagoda
« on: April 20, 2005, 08:30:00 »
Hello all:
I have always like the style of the Pagoda roadsters and am glad to find a forum with friendly, knowledgeable folks. I am in the early *dreaming* stages of a project that you will probably find blasphemous: I would convert one to electric drive. The W 113 is a bit heavier than most conversion projects: think VW beetle, so I'll need to take some care in planning. I would want a sound car with a 4 Speed, minimum accessories and no engine. A model with safe but non-show quality restoration would be ok (leaving the good ones for proper treatment). Any thoughts? Do you know anyone who has tried this?
Gerhard

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: Electric Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 18:55:18 »
Just curious....why make it electric? Why not keep it a gasoline car?

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

n/a

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 19:34:48 »
Actually, the electric propulsion is leading  the project. The 113 looks like a nice candidate.

Gerhard

quote:
Originally posted by Kgear

Just curious....why make it electric? Why not keep it a gasoline car?

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 20:45:17 »
Could be wrong but I think Gerhard is pulling our leg.

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 21:27:16 »
Nah, I think he's serious! Why not, the internal combustion engine can't stay around forever. How about a hydrogen cell sl?
Gerhard, I think there are many suitable cars stowed away in garages and back yards in southern California but they are difficult to come across. If they make it to ebay they will probably cost too much. If you know someone in the auto trade you might be able to find one in the trade-only auctions - I believe salvage title cars are sometimes consigned by insurance companies.
I know nothing about electric cars, but don't they have motors on each of the drive wheels?, and in that case wouldn't you need to replace the entire drive train? Please explain!

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 07:39:19 »
Hmmm...

Several issues here:

1)  As I was taught one day, the only reason internal combustion engines have transmissions is that the ever important torque varies with engine RPM, therefore you need a transmission to keep your power and torque available to you.  This begs the question of why he needs or wants a 4 speed.  Diesel electric locomotives (diesel generator powering electric motors) don't have transmissions as we know them in the classic sense because they don't need them.  Full torque is achieved the moment you energize the motors, as I understand it.

2)  Are you talking full electric or hybrid?  If full electric you've got quite a chore ahead of you.  In a vehicle in which we can't seem to find adequate space to install stereo speakers, and one in which only a bag of junior sized golf clubs will fit (and then only when you remove the spare!) I think your battery space will be limited.  And in a vehicle already a bit on the heavy side you've got quite a weight issue to deal with.

3)  Why on earth would anyone consider this project?  I agree with Tom, he's pulling our leg.  If you want an engineering exercise, you could choose a vehicle or platform somewhat newer then the 113; somewhat less expensive both for parts and for your core; and one that is populating the salvage yards across the USA.  A 34-43 year old low volume German roadster?  I don't see it happening any sooner then the supercharger on the M130 motor.

4)  You could probably have a fiberglass body molded like a 113 and put over a golf cart for a lot less money and effort...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

n/a

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:12:43 »
I am serious about the study, but not ready to put my money down yet. It is true that little neighborhood Electric vehicles (glorified golf carts) often dispense with the drive train, but a highway capable car needs the flexibility of a gearbox. A good motor and controller will provide constant torque up to 2500 rpm and then constant horsepower up to about 5000 rpm. Performance is determined by the interplay of weight, torque and gear ratios; while range depends on rolling and air resistance along with battery capacity and regenerative  braking efficiency.
I think the SL's have a good air resistance coefficient. Is anyone interested in making some measurements? If you have a GPS, we can talk,
 Gerhard

George Davis

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:48:06 »
Pagoda's have drag coefficients ranging from 0.48 to 0.515; top down is highest, soft top up is lowest.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 13:25:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by George Davis

Pagoda's have drag coefficients ranging from 0.48 to 0.515; top down is highest, soft top up is lowest.
Aren't most cars today down around 0.30 or 0.35?  The Pagoda is an aerodynamic brick relative to a 1990 Honda Civic.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 20:08:49 »
This drag coefficient is a killer. The  range would be way down.
Gerhard