Author Topic: California Dusters  (Read 3113 times)

norton

California Dusters
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:22:13 »
Seen some posts recomending the use of "California Dusters" Just a warning, Do not use these things on new paint for any reason, they are a scratch waiting to happen. Be carful using them on any paint, they should not be dragged around on a dirty car under there own weight, but lightly swept over the car to remove light dust only. They also need to be kept clean, stored in the bag they come in, washed and recharged now and again. (wipe your TV screen to recharge them) :D

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

Ed Cave

Re: California Dusters
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 20:23:18 »
Reviving an old topic. Does anyone else have negative feelings about the California dusters? My assumption is that, if you keep the duster itself relatively clean and aren't trying to remove a month or more dust build up these are not going to harm a nice paint finish???

How about those "Water Blades" or "Paint Squeegees" as they are known. Anyone have experience with these that can share their usefulness and gentleness to paint???

Michael Salemi, Bob Geco....you guys out there?

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 20:39:52 »
Bob Geco sold me my water blade and I find it indispensable. I'm also partial to my Duster, but wouldn't dare use it on anything but a clean but dusty (and cool) car. Here in Manhattan, you seek out any effective shortcuts as it is very difficult to find a place to wash a car yourself. You're fortunate you have a light-colored SL, Ed. It won't show scratches easily. Your 911 is a different story, of course.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 02:46:07 »
I've never used the duster, I always wash and chamois dry the car, I dont believe in dusting. That is to say I've never found a decent one !

quote:
How about those "Water Blades" or "Paint Squeegees" as they are known. Anyone have experience with these that can share their usefulness and gentleness to paint???

.......I was sceptical about these too but I bought one this time last year and use it almost daily on both my cars with zero adverse effects !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 06:39:55 »
My experience with the water squeegee is the same as Doug. I use it all the time. I don't use the duster on the paint that much, prefer to use Speed Shine (Griot) or the the Meguiars Detail spray. I do like the smaller duster for the interior.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 06:40:17 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Ed Fisher

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:06:26 »
I have used a squeegee extensively with success as well as a California duster on all cars that I wash/maintain, including a BMW with original red paint (no clear).  Since using the squeegee I have mothballed my chamois.  Too hard to maintain and keep clean.  

The only dust that I take off with the duster is from a car cover in the garage.  The comment of a clean car and cool paint is right on the money.  

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx