Author Topic: 230SL Mirror Experiment  (Read 6979 times)

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
230SL Mirror Experiment
« on: April 29, 2005, 15:20:24 »
I drive my 230SL a lot, and one thing I've wished for (especially in the traffic around the SF Bay area) is better side-mirror visibility.  I've often fantasized about adapting convex glass to my mirrors, but realize that it would be very difficult to do properly for mirrors as unusually shaped as ours.  (Obviously, I am not willing to change the look of the car for this extra safety and convenience!)

As a result of owning a Honda Goldwing, I heard about these mirrors:

http://www.multivexmirror.com/

(Goldwing owners swear by them; I haven't ordered a set yet, but intend to before my next big bike trip.)

In reading the Multivex site, I found that they would make mirrors to order at little or no extra cost.  So, I sent for their measuring instructions, and am going to send them the specs on my 230SL mirrors.  When they arrive, I'll put them on my car and report back to the group on (1) how well they work, and (2) how they look.

I'm wondering how many other 113 owners would be interested in better mirrors, assuming that they aren't particularly noticeable.  I won't ask for a poll now, but will wait until I report back on them.  We might be able to work out a club deal on a large batch of them.  One nice thing is that our mirror shapes are the same left and right, so Multivex would only have to build one shape and folks could order one or two as needed.

If this works well and is interesting to folks, I'm sure some 280SL owner could have a master made for their mirrors, too.

The Multivex mirrors attach on top of the "original" mirror glass.  As I have brand new mirror glass, and this is an experiment, I'd like to use some older mirrors to test on.  Does anyone have one or two old, no longer in use, pieces of 230SL mirror glass that they'd be willing to donate to the cause?  Thanks!

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: 230SL Mirror Experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 17:05:23 »
I'll be interested in hearing your report back.  I just bought a passenger side mirror for my car.

I had a chance to see Naj's cars last year and he had found a BMW mirror glass that he had a local glass shop trim to fit his 230SL.  You wouldn't notice unless you looked for it.

Maybe Naj can let us know how that works in traffic.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 20:00:01 »
There are some details in the thread below on a convex mirror transplant by "theengineer". Sounds like it works well.

http://index.php?topic=202

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

TR

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 21:56:10 »
David -- I'm very interested also.  I have mirrors on both sides of my 280SL.

Tom in Boise

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 08:29:32 »
Yes, I have changed to convex glass lenses that started off as larger pieces for '90s BMWs.
They were cut and ground down to size by a local glasier. Of course, if they broke in the process,it was down to me!!
They work very well. Also, the passenger door mirror is now mounted much further back on the door to further improve visibility.
I took some pictures this afternoon with a new camera and have not suceeded in uploading them.
Will persevere!!
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Malc

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 01:08:21 »
Another possible source is the 1984 - 1993 Saab 900 they have doormirrors with both a flat and convex section at the edge
I have a couple lying about so I will take one to bits and see what can be done
When I get home that is....
Cheers
Malc

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 06:05:47 »
David,

quote:
Does anyone have one or two old, no longer in use, pieces of 230SL mirror glass that they'd be willing to donate to the cause? Thanks!

I have an original glass which is now clear - the coating has come off.

If you don't find one locally, let me know.

naj

p.s:
How heavy is this multivex lens? The original glass is only held in place by the plastic beading, and I'm not sure it can handle much weight.

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 10:25:34 »
230/Early 250 Mirror Lens pictures:

Note the vertical line about one inch from the outer edge. Its a biconvex lens which removes the blind spot when a car is right next to yours.

Download Attachment: Mirror01.JPG
27.57 KB

Download Attachment: MirRH04.JPG
38.84 KB

Download Attachment: MirLH05.JPG
31.58 KB

Passenger Mirror Location:
I've now moved it further back. It was beyond the reinforcing plate inside the door, so I had to use a plate from a W111.

Download Attachment: MirLoc03.JPG
32.36 KB

Enjoy the view [:p]

naj
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:43:02 by naj »
68 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 21:47:13 »
Hi, Naj,

Nice looking job!  I'm amazed that you could find convex (or biconvex) glass that fix so well when cut.

I've sent my specs to Multivex and ordered a pair, so I'll let you know how heavy they are when they show up.  So far no old glass locally, but I guess I could probably have a local glass shop cut me a couple of clear pieces to order for less than shipping.  I'm out of town for a couple of weeks, so nothing will happen for a while.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)