Author Topic: Soft top story  (Read 2729 times)

hauser

Soft top story
« on: April 29, 2005, 20:45:55 »
My top was in dire need of attention :x .  I had put it off for as long I could.  After talking with a few of our members here and exploring the possibilities I finally made up my mind on what to do.  I decided to send it off to Gernold.  He gave me step by step instructions on the removal process.  It was easier than I thought.  Once removed I took it to the UPS store and shipped it off to Maine.

A month or so later I received my newly refurbished top.  It looked great!  The work consisted of dark brown German canvas, MB window, NOS bow, new hardware and springs.  According to Gernold this top was a special order and it was sewn in California.  The stock tops are produced in Mexico.  Gernold had comented on the craftsmanship reflected on this compared to a stock top.

The time came to attach this to my car.  I figured all I had to do was retrace my steps and I'd be finished.  I was wrong[:0].  In addition to the shims the top can shift forwards and sideways.  My biggest mistake was not marking the original location of the top before removal.

After three days and several hours along a few extra calls to Gernold I finally got it in the right position.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 23:16:35 by hauser »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Soft top story
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 04:08:33 »
"According to Gernold this top was a special order and it was sewn in California. The stock tops are produced in Mexico."

Possibly by the same people? Sorry, couldn't resist. Congratulations on your new top, I'm just jealous!

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 04:31:11 »
 :) I am having my soft top replaced next week by a local shop that has been doing convertible tops for 20+ years (family run business).  They have ordered me a top from GAAH out of California.  Supposed to be the "original" dark brown German canvas material with light tan liner.   :?: Is this any good?

I spoke to Gernold yesterday about the elastic straps that reside between the canvas and the 2 main straps.  He said just use any standard elastic, nothing special.  Gernold also had me remove 2 chrome frame posts (~3 inches high) that reside in the soft top compartment.  These posts pivot on a pin and are under slight tension with a spring.  Gernold said they were added on the later 70 and 71 models and he doesn’t see a good reason for these posts to be there.  What they do is to prevent you from folding the top down until you have bent down the front part of the frame first, part of the take down process.  He removes these as a standard practice when he works on these top frames.  He mentioned that many times they cause the frame to bend while folding the top.  He’s the expert, so I removed mine.  

Last weekend, I removed my old canvas and spent many hours cleaning the frame of old glue and some slight surface rust, so I know the frame pretty well now.  The guy doing the top is the son of the owner and has been doing tops for many years.  However, while he has done many 107s, he has never done a 113.   :?: Can anyone provide me with some pointers as to the differences between these 2 models and their soft tops?  Want to make sure it’s done right!

Thanks!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

hauser

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 07:52:03 »
One thing that Gernold has that's unique is a car he uses as a jig to build these tops.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.