Author Topic: bushings and CSV  (Read 5021 times)

Ed Fisher

bushings and CSV
« on: May 02, 2005, 05:49:51 »
Good morning all:

Now that the car is running consistently well and much more of a pleasure to drive I want to freshen up the body/chassis.  I made a list of bushings from the search engine but please tell me if I have missed any likely candidates before I place the order.

Front subframe
Motor mounts
Transmission mount
Rear pivot point
Trailing arms

I have wired the CSV to a toggle that is powered by switched 12vdc.  If I toggle it on, it won’t fire until I turn the key.  What is the normal starting sequence with a CSV?  Just turn the key? Crack the accelerator to allow more air?  Leave it “on” for a second or two to allow the intake to receive the fuel?  What say ye?

Thanks one and all.

Ed

A Dalton

Re: bushings and CSV
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:02:37 »
On the CSV, the only time the CSV gets power is when the key is in the Start position... so, if you are using a manual switch over-ride,
 the best type of switch  will be a momentary ON push button sw... You can then push it for added fuel prime from CSV while cranking.  This is also a valuable mod for hot starting. [ there is a one sec relay conversion for this, but I find the manual mod better, as you have control of the time ]
 If you are just jumping 12v to CSV from bat power , then you have CSV regardless of key position.. but if you simply wire the sw to the "W' terminal of the Time/Temp sw. and ground, it will use the CSV relay circuitry and still work only in start position, as intended.
 On the rear suspension mounts, the one you really want to look at is the hanger mount in the trunk...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 09:04:36 by A Dalton »

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:15:48 »
Ed,

the starting sequence cold (with CSV) is to simply turn the key until it starts.  Don't push the gas pedal, the WRD adds extra air/fuel.  The owner's manual suggests turning the key on and waiting a few seconds before cranking (to allow fuel pressure time to build up).

For warm or hot starts, cracking the throttle open a bit until it fires is recommended.  When warm/hot, theoretically you shouldn't need the CSV at all, although some engines do like a 1-second shot from the CSV even when warm/hot.  Something to experiment with.

I assume you are taking power for your CSV switch from a fuse-protected source.  If not, you should put a fuse in-line as close to the power source as possible.  Since you are manually taking over the function of the thermo-time switch, remember not to activate the CSV for too long, to prevent flooding.  The thermo-time swithch limits CSV operation to 12 seconds or less, depending on how cold it is.

Additional suspension bushings:
By rear pivot point, I assume you mean the diff mount located at the front of the trunk?
Torque arms each have two bushings, front "donut" bushings, and the rear bushings where the arms attach to the axles.
There are four bushings on the diagonal cross-arm that provides lateral location for the rear axle, two where it connects to the diff, and two where it attaches to the body.  Also there is a rubber grommet on the cross-arm that you might want to replace.
Front sway bar bushings.
The front subframe lateral link, or cross arm, or whatever it's called, has a small silentblock bushing in each end.  It's the small arm that connects from the middle-rear of the front subframe to the chassis.

You are in for lots and lots of fun!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

A Dalton

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:39:46 »
I think most refer to the trunk axle body mount as the hanger mount and the pivot bushing mount would be the rubber mount/tube that goes around the Pivot Pin, through the lower end of the hanger arm. This is seldom looked at , but if one has eveidence of long time pinion seal leak/seepage, it should be checked as the oil has deteriorated the rubber bushing.  This part has also been modified to a one piece rubber bush from the older two piece, which did not have the strength of the single peice..
 Anyone with seal leakage should look at this lower pivot pin mount..
..a bad one will cause noise/knocks [ specially around corners under load] and , like the top mount, will effect ride heigth/camber...
 The silent block George referred to is the bushing to the Guide Rod, and as suggested, is another common wear item. These will give off a front knocking sound , specially when shifting/rmp changes..
It is not uncommon to see guys change big $$$ parts chasing this simple part/noise down, so G. has  a very good suggestion here...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 09:47:14 by A Dalton »

Ed Fisher

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 15:25:04 »
Thanks folks for the information.  I have logged it all and will now begin my learning on the correct starting of the car with a CSV.  I will also begin my acquisition of parts for the bushings.  I will not be performing those jobs, after reading the posts from those that have gone before me, but will farm that out.  Thanks to y’all, I now have a little more understanding before diving in headfirst.  I’m not too proud to let someone else fight with the Ol’ 64 for a little while.  Best regards and I will keep you posted.  Ed

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 11:28:18 »
Hi Ed -- good luck with the suspension stuff. I would add some new Bilstein shocks to your list -- unless this was recently done. I did much of your list last summer (well, farmed it out!) and the car handles great.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Ed Fisher

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 06:01:20 »
I just wanted to offer a bit of success to celebrate with the group; a successful cold start that involved almost no cranking of the starter!  Turned the key on for a few seconds to let the pump pressurize, hit the key while simultaneously juicing the CSV and she started with barely a bump.  (just like y’all said)  Now that was nice!  On to bushings and trying to understand why hooking up the vacuum advance hauls it down to a stall.

Ed