Author Topic: Cross Strut Rubber  (Read 2213 times)

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Cross Strut Rubber
« on: April 21, 2022, 02:17:42 »
While I’m replacing the rear wheel seals I’ve decided to update some of the bushings etc. I ordered the cross strut rubber buffers. I haven’t taken the old buffers out yet but looking from the outside it doesn’t look like it’s the proper rubber.

The second picture is one of the buffers I received.

I’d like to confirm I received the correct parts . Should I order the entire kit or just replace the buffers?
1970 280 SL

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Cross Strut Rubber
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 13:42:23 »
Hello, I did this job recently and it looks like you have the correct rubber.   It's hard to tell from the angle but in your picture it looks like your old existing rubber buffers might be a bit compressed or damaged so might be hard to tell their original shape.  I know mine were pretty bad after 50+ years.   Take care to check the position of the adjusting nuts before you disassemble and count or measure the exposed threads.   Assuming the nuts haven't been touched before, they may still be in the correct location for the axel's lateral alignment.   There is a adjustment procedure if you need it.   I didn't see the need to buy the whole kit since I had no rust or corrosion.  I just cleaned everything up and put some paint on the plate.   You might see the original yellow paint on the strut threads to confirm the exposed threads.  -Mark
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 13:51:26 »
Also, if you haven't already, I'd recommend changing the upper axel to body mount, accessed from inside the trunk.   There is an easy check to see if it has collapsed, and most are bad after many years.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 17:43:48 »
Thank you so much Mark. You pretty much covered all my questions.  I do have a new trunk body mount replacement ready to go in also.

I do have one question though. Where exactly does this rubber piece go.
1970 280 SL

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 12:55:16 »
That rubber boot goes on the other side of the shaft where it comes out of the body mount, opposite end from the picture sent earlier.  I assume it's just to keep the water out.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 13:10:03 »
Thank you.
1970 280 SL

esilva

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Palo Alto
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2024, 22:48:50 »
Hello,
i'm refreshing bushings on trailing arms in my continuing pursuit of "original" handling performance. I've already replaced all the rubber mounts and now going to replace trailing arm bushings.  Should I also replace the cross strut bushings at same time.  Will the new cross strut bushings contribute to improved handling performance? How much extra effort should I expect (pay to mechanic) to change cross strut bushings if doing repair at same time as replacing trailing arm bushings.

Any feedback from your experience would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,
Edward
'69 280 SL