Author Topic: Front Upper Control Arm Difference  (Read 1777 times)

Duncan200

• Senior
  • Australia, Victoria, Rowville
  • Just started my Restoration
Front Upper Control Arm Difference
« on: June 03, 2022, 07:13:15 »
Hi All,

After having a good look around online and on the forum, I can’t seem to find an answer to this question.

I’m in the process of a complete restoration on my 66 230 and have noticed the following:-

Can anyone please tell me why my front upper control arms would be different?

The passenger side (left on a RHD car) has a gusset (reinforcement) on it as opposed to my driver’s side arm.

Has anyone seen this before?

Pics attached.

Thanks Doug.
1966 MB 230SL DB 717 4sp Australian Delivered Matching Numbers Car. One day it will be back on the road in all its glory.
2000 MB CLK430 Convertible
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S
2019 Audi SQ7 Special Edition

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
Re: Front Upper Control Arm Difference
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 13:52:37 »
..The passenger side (left on a RHD car) has a gusset (reinforcement) on it as opposed to my driver’s side arm.
Has anyone seen this before? Pics attached. Thanks Doug.
hi Doug, I'm not sure why there's a difference in your upper control arms. I just took a look at the upper control arms on my LHD '64 and they're both the same (no gusset/reinforcement).
I believe your data card has serial numbers for the original control arms. Any chance the control arm with the gusset is a replacement? Sorry I can't help, Charles

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
Re: Front Upper Control Arm Difference
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 13:57:21 »
I believe your data card has serial numbers for the original control arms. Any chance the control arm with the gusset is a replacement?..
oops, disregard. The data card shows the left and right axle numbers - not the control arm numbers.