Author Topic: Sanden AC Compressor?  (Read 3496 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Sanden AC Compressor?
« on: June 05, 2005, 05:51:50 »
Has anyone put a Sanden Compressor in their car?  I have been looking at a 505 or 508 and trying to determine which is the best choice and what kind of mount I'll need to fabricate.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

George Des

Re: Sanden AC Compressor?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 06:58:09 »
Ray,

I used the 508 with a Bud's Benz type compressor bracket. I beleieve the 505 is justa smaller package but will work equally as well. The Bud's type bracket can either be bought from bud's Benz or fabricated from 1/4" steel plate. Itis a flat metal plate that mounts across the front top of the engine--alternator stays in the normal place and the bracket attaches with several bolts in existing holes around the water pump. If you already have an a/c set up, all you need is a York to Sanden conversion plate which are available any number of auot a/c houses and on e-bay from time to time. Since I have a 230Sl that did not come with an a/c setup I could not go this route--not enough pulleys on the water pump/fan combo to make it work right.  Good luck. My 508 is running R134A and runs reall cold, but you can get the Sanden's set for R12 if that's the way you wnat to go. If you make the conversion to R134, you really should change out your hoses and fittings for the high pressure ones and install a parallel flow high efficiency condensor available from the a/c suppliers.

George Des

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Sanden AC Compressor?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 20:11:18 »
Jeepers, I love this site!  Thanks so much George. I have a York now, so I'll look for that conversion plate.  "New" is always the best word to precede the description of any hose. I did acquire a new condensor that is twice the number of flow tubes but isn't parrallel.  I have 8 cans of freon on my shelf, so I guess I'll go that way. That "wow" car on e-bay actually has a close up of the installation.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe