Author Topic: Speaker Grill "Originality"  (Read 3077 times)

RickInTex

Speaker Grill "Originality"
« on: June 14, 2005, 07:13:05 »
I bear no relation (or grudge, or anything else) to the seller of the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34206&item=4555834437&rd=1

My question is either automotive or semantic--not sure which:  this one-piece version certainly does not look like the "original" Mercedes design to me.  Is this what they supply now, though?  If so, wouldn't the design with separate slats, even if supplied by the obvious other non-Mercedes sources, be more true to the "original" design?  Or do I have an eye/memory problem, and this is how my grill is supposed to look?  The seller suggests a difference between 230 and later designs--is this true?  In any case, it's a little mysterious to me why the bidding for this would be so eager.

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

terry shores

Re: Speaker Grill "Originality"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:56:54 »
It sure doesn't look like my grill!!

knirk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:37:12 »
Doesn't look like mine either. SLS lists a new one (for all 113's) for about $85.

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 14:58:12 »
quote:
Rick wrote
../.. this one-piece version certainly does not look like the "original" Mercedes design to me.  Is this what they supply now, though?

This is what M-B Classic provides you with today if you order a speaker grille. The original item in our Pagodas, assembled (glued) together with umpteen wood parts (same part for all W113, BTW), was just too costly to (re-)make.

This flat, cut out part was the compromise and today serves as replacement grille...  So, hold on to your original grilles :|

/Hans in Stockholm
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 15:00:41 by mbzse »
/Hans S

RickInTex

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 08:37:22 »
Thanks, Hans, for the clarification.  I suspected something like this.  Strange that even when M-B commits to supporting classics, cheapness trumps its legacy as "The Most Overpriced Car in the World" (to emend its old US ad slogan).

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed