Author Topic: differential identification numbers  (Read 2756 times)

saygold

differential identification numbers
« on: June 19, 2005, 17:46:36 »
When I purchased my 1966 230SL (euro) in 1986, the rear brakes had been changed to discs.  I had not paid a lot of time to it at the time, thinking that the disc brakes had been upgraded while the 230SL model was still being produced.  I have done some work on the rear end, including replacing the bearings.  I ordered the parts from major independent MB suppliers without any problems.  My car is a “driver” and I am not worried about trying to completely restore it.

I was reading the excellent section on “Replacing my 230Sl differential” by wagas and others and compared some of the photos in it to mine, which also had enclosed axles.  Realizing that my car’s differential was not the same, I am trying to figure out where mine came from.

I had a hard time finding any identification numbers on my differential.  The only markings that I could find was on the front left side (forward of the axles), on the bottom ridge.  It was marked as 137717  3,92 (if I read it correctly).  I read this to be a 3.92 axle ratio, but can anyone tell me what model it was from?   Does it make any difference when ordering parts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Saygold

1966 230SL (euro) w/4-speed manual

A Dalton

Re: differential identification numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 20:14:17 »
A 3,92 could be from a 250 or 280..[ even a 108 sedan]
 Just use the later 113 version when ordering parts cuz there are some differences
[ mostly interior ]
 Here is a good site that explains the ratios and differences well

Use the English menu and click on both Diff pages

http://213.239.220.84/bin/dbframes.phtml?mid=IN02